Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1690 Alchemical compendium
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1690
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9962935753503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Instructions for alchemical processes such as transmutation, sublimation, and multiplication, with practical applications such as curing diseases (p. 15), embalming bodies (p. 31), and neutralizing viper venom and poisonous black hellebore (p. 34). Includes an alphabetical index (p. 631-642).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent324 leaves : 234 x 176 (208 x 131) mm. bound to 248 x 195 mm
FoliationPaper, 324 leaves; [iv], 1-321, 321-336, [337-643]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary half leather with marbled paper boards. Upper cover and first leaf nearly detached.
Pen and ink drawing of the Hand of the Philosopher, an alchemical emblem signifying apotheosis (p. 193); drawings of alchemical apparatus and symbols throughout.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 602, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1690: Alchemical compendium are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- 193 — Drawing, Hand of the Philosopher, p. 193
Inside front cover
6026_0001.tif (106.4 MB)
6026_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
6026_0001_web.jpg (253.9 KB)
6026_0198.tif (106.4 MB)
6026_0198_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
6026_0198_web.jpg (303.9 KB)
Decoration: Drawing, Hand of the Philosopher, p. 193
Inside back cover
6026_0646.tif (106.4 MB)
6026_0646_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
6026_0646_web.jpg (240.3 KB)