Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1691 An Hermetical and philosophic manuduction
TitleAn Hermetical and philosophic manuduction
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1691
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293577
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with a few pages in French
Alchemical handbook of experiments and recipes. Instructions include transmutation of metals, making a small pearl or gemstone larger, creation of and uses for potable gold, and other elixirs, oils, and tinctures. Recipes includes medicinal applications such as flower remedies for asthma, consumption (p. 357), and dropsie (p. 358).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. xxv).
Extent484 leaves : 213 x 185 (165 x 90) mm. bound to 226 x 202 mm. +
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 484 + i (contemporary paper) leaves; [xxvi], 1-194, 196-614, 596-773, 773-877, 888-913; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners. All references in this record are to contemporary pagination.
BindingContemporary gold-tooled leather. Spine leather deteriorating.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist; stamp, p. xxiv); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 603, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Medicine, Magic, mystic, and spagiric--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1691: An Hermetical and philosophic manuduction are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5203_0001.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0001_thumb.jpg (7.2 KB)
5203_0001_web.jpg (457.2 KB)
Loose pastedown 1
5203_0954.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0954_thumb.jpg (7.3 KB)
5203_0954_web.jpg (483.2 KB)
Loose pastedown 2
5203_0955.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0955_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
5203_0955_web.jpg (266.8 KB)
Inside back cover
5203_0956.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0956_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
5203_0956_web.jpg (328.7 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
5203_0958.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0958_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
5203_0958_web.jpg (392.5 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
5203_0959.tif (111.1 MB)
5203_0959_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
5203_0959_web.jpg (402.8 KB)
mscodex1691_wk1_body0961ref.tif (52.4 MB)
mscodex1691_wk1_body0961ref_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
mscodex1691_wk1_body0961ref_web.jpg (210.6 KB)