Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1695 Chymical Processes of the Duke of Buckingham
TitleChymical Processes of the Duke of Buckingham
- Buckingham, George Villiers, Duke of, 1628-1687
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1695
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293605
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, Latin, French, Italian, and German
- between 1750 and 1799
Alchemical compendium that primarily discusses metals and minerals and includes instructions for chemical experiments and processes such as the transmutation of metals or making small pearls larger (p. 241) as well as practical applications such as remedies for the pox (p. 96).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (p. 1).
Extent142 leaves : 202 x 161 mm. bound to 210 x 165 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 140 leaves; [iv], 1-23, 23-84, 84-135, 126-262, [ii]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment. Front and back pastedowns have come loose from boards. Paper is stained and deteriorating due to moisture damage.
Several pen and ink drawings of alchemical apparatus (p. 137, p. 153); alchemical symbols throughout.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 609, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Chemistry--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1695: Chymical Processes of the Duke of Buckingham are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5207_0001.tif (83.8 MB)
5207_0001_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
5207_0001_web.jpg (377.2 KB)
mscodex1695_wk1_body0000ref.tif (80.5 MB)
mscodex1695_wk1_body0000ref_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
mscodex1695_wk1_body0000ref_web.jpg (267.7 KB)