Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1696 Medical and philosophical compendium
TitleMedical and philosophical compendium
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1696
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293581
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with some Greek and a few words in Hebrew
- between 1750 and 1799
Collection of works copied by Charles Rainsford that includes texts on the Druze people and their religion, classical philosophers, and a final section of medical recipes and remedies. Also includes a partial list of contents (p. 30). There is a cracked but intact red wax seal on p. 80.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent138 leaves : 193 x 158 (165 x 115) mm. bound to 200 x 168 mm
FoliationPaper, 138 leaves; [1-240, 1-3, 3-35]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 610-614, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Druzes--Early works to 1800
- Philosophy--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Seals (artifacts)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1696: Medical and philosophical compendium are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5209_0001.tif (79.0 MB)
5209_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
5209_0001_web.jpg (297.4 KB)
mscodex1696_wk1_body0285ref.tif (29.3 MB)
mscodex1696_wk1_body0285ref_thumb.jpg (2.1 KB)
mscodex1696_wk1_body0285ref_web.jpg (71.9 KB)