Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1699 Curious experiments in natural magick and cabalistic from Albertus Parvus
TitleCurious experiments in natural magick and cabalistic from Albertus Parvus
- Albertus Parvus, Lucius
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1699
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293609
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, Italian, and Latin
- between 1750 and 1799
Collection of instructions from Le Petit Albert, an 18th-century magical handbook, for conducting alchemical and cabalistic experiments and recipes concerning matters of love (p. 12), health (p. 65), and luck (p. 39) as well as other applications such as preventing dogs from barking at you (p. 48), preventing the effects of wine (p. 51), growing grapes and melons (p. 61), and creating talismans (p. 68). Also includes an alphabetical index (p. 261-266). A bifolium laid into the manuscript includes instructions for several different methods of how to catch plenty of fish and to make pigeons come to your dove house.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent184 leaves : 198 x 145 (166 x 118) mm. bound to 204 x 157 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 184 leaves; [ii], 1-247, 148-209, [210-266]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
Pen and ink drawing of piece of horse flesh (p. 12) and of talismans (p. 79); alchemical symbols throughout.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 617, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Cabala--Early works to 1800
- Magic--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1699: Curious experiments in natural magick and cabalistic from Albertus Parvus are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5212_0001.tif (76.5 MB)
5212_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
5212_0001_web.jpg (267.8 KB)
5212_0015.tif (76.5 MB)
5212_0015_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
5212_0015_web.jpg (311.6 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, p. 12
5212_0082.tif (76.5 MB)
5212_0082_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
5212_0082_web.jpg (284.5 KB)
Decoration: Diagram, p. 79
Fol. Loose note 1, 1r
5212_0369.tif (76.5 MB)
5212_0369_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
5212_0369_web.jpg (252.5 KB)
Fol. Loose note 1, 1v
5212_0370.tif (105.1 MB)
5212_0370_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
5212_0370_web.jpg (346.1 KB)
Fol. Loose note 1, 2r
5212_0371.tif (105.1 MB)
5212_0371_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
5212_0371_web.jpg (367.0 KB)
Fol. Loose note 1, 2v
5212_0372.tif (105.1 MB)
5212_0372_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5212_0372_web.jpg (360.9 KB)
mscodex1699_wk1_body0000ref.tif (76.5 MB)
mscodex1699_wk1_body0000ref_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
mscodex1699_wk1_body0000ref_web.jpg (256.0 KB)