Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1703 Secrets relative to arts and trades
TitleSecrets relative to arts and trades
Other related names
- Rainsford, Charles, 1728-1809, former owner
- Northumberland, Hugh Percy, Duke of, 1742-1817, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1703
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6293588
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with several leaves laid into the manuscript in French
- between 1750 and 1799
Instructional manual with the first section discussing the transmutation of metals such as turning silver into gold (p. 7) and making iron brittle like glass (p. 28) as well as notes on perpetual motion (p. 42) and secret fire (p. 42-43). The second section includes many recipes for different types of varnish including one for tinting windows to prevent the sun from shining through them (p. 49) and one for sealing wax (p. 52). Subsequent sections include recipes for making pigments such as carmine (p. 53) and Prussian blue (p. 54, 69) and for making large pearls from small ones (p. 74). Also includes an alphabetical index (p. ii-xxvi).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
Extent187 leaves : 233 x 190 mm. bound to 240 x 205 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 187 leaves; [xxvi], 1-75, [76-348]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
- Formerly owned by Charles Rainsford (British army officer, fellow of the Royal Society, and alchemist); bequeathed by Rainsford to Hugh Percy, Second Duke of Northumberland.
- Owned by the 2nd through 12th Dukes of Northumberland, ms. 620, Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, 1809-2014 (bookplate, inside upper cover; stamps throughout).
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (London), 15 July 2014, as part of Lot 411.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Pigments--Early works to 1800
- Occultism--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1703: Secrets relative to arts and trades are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5223_0001.tif (109.5 MB)
5223_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
5223_0001_web.jpg (249.0 KB)
5223_0103.tif (109.5 MB)
5223_0103_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
5223_0103_web.jpg (226.5 KB)
Section: Blank leaves start
5223_0377.tif (109.5 MB)
5223_0377_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
5223_0377_web.jpg (227.8 KB)
Section: Blank leaves end
Inside back cover
5223_0378.tif (109.5 MB)
5223_0378_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
5223_0378_web.jpg (231.9 KB)
mscodex1703_wk1_body0381ref.tif (29.5 MB)
mscodex1703_wk1_body0381ref_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
mscodex1703_wk1_body0381ref_web.jpg (79.5 KB)