Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1717 Cours des experiences
TitleCours des experiences
- Petit séminaire de Clermont-Ferrand (France) Petit séminaire de Clermont-Ferrand (France)
Call numberMs. Codex 1717
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 6139728
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageFrench, with two classical quotations in Latin (p. 1, 7)
A text from a physics course taught by a professor of philosophy named as Monsieur Quentin, divided into sections on topics such as porosity, hydrostatics, gravity, pneumatics, meteorology, electricity, light, colors, cold, sound, odors, and magnets, with numbered experiments following each topic. A table of contents is at the end of the volume.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. iii); alternate title from explicit (p. 257).
Extent138 leaves : 170 x 115 (130 x 80) mm. bound to 175 x 125 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 138 + i leaves; [i-iv], 1, [2-30], 31-221, 223-267, [268-273 (blank)], contemporary and near contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary (18th-century) sheep with flat gilt spine and title label Cours D'Exper, marbled endleaves, red edges, ribbon marker.
- Sold by Roger Gaskell Rare Books (Cambridge, England), 2014.
- Education--France--History--18th century--Sources
- Physics--Experiments--Early works to 1800
- Lecture notes
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1717: Cours des experiences are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
5323_0001.tif (47.1 MB)
5323_0001_thumb.jpg (7.4 KB)
5323_0001_web.jpg (477.0 KB)