Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1787 Zeh Sefer Uklidus ha-Haham.
TitleZeh Sefer Uklidus ha-Haham.
- Euclid Euclid
Other related names
- Ibn Tibbon, Jacob ben Machir, approximately 1236-, translator
Call numberMs. Codex 1787
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9968520523503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageHebrew, with marginal notes in Italian on the first page (f. 3r)
Hebrew translation of Euclid's Elements, probably in the 13th-century translation of Jacob ben Machir, comprising Books 1-13 of the Elements and the apocryphal Books 14-15, often attributed to Hypsicles. Marginal notes and occasional corrections added in Hebrew (through f. 61r); marginal notes in Italian on first page (f. 3r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent186 leaves : 310 x 225 (210 x 145) mm bound to 330 x 245 mm
CollationPaper, i + 186 + i; 1² 2-47⁴; [1-186], modern foliation in pencil, upper left recto. Front pastedown and flyleaf and back pastedown and flyleaf formed by wrapping two sheets of lighter paper around the first and last gatherings and cutting off the inner leaves to stubs (mathematical calculations are written on the leaf used for the back pastedown and stub). Gatherings signed with Hebrew letters, upper right first recto.
BindingContemporary (early 18th-century) quarter vellum over paper boards; paper spine label with title in ink; spine damaged.
Architectural title page in ink with calligraphic title (f. 1r); numerous small geometric diagrams added by multiple hands through Book 6 (f. 3r-61r) and occasionally pasted in (for example, f. 15r, 58r); open spaces in text for diagrams in Books 7-15.
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's (New York), 22 December 2015, lot 13.
- Geometry--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Hebrew--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, Ms. Codex 1787: Zeh Sefer Uklidus ha-Haham. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- fol. 1r — Title page border, f. 1r
Inside front cover
5720_0001.tif (171.2 MB)
5720_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
5720_0001_web.jpg (276.7 KB)
5720_0004.tif (171.2 MB)
5720_0004_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
5720_0004_web.jpg (306.6 KB)
Decoration: Title page border, f. 1r
Inside back cover
5720_0378.tif (171.2 MB)
5720_0378_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
5720_0378_web.jpg (294.8 KB)