Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 179 Varios papeles de poesias a diferentes asumptos compuestos por diversos ingenios
TitleVarios papeles de poesias a diferentes asumptos compuestos por diversos ingenios
- Villamediana, Juan de Tarsis, conde de, 1580-1622
- Vega, Lope de, 1562-1635
- Góngora y Argote, Luis de, 1561-1627
Other related names
- Gillet, Joseph E. b. 1888, former owner
- Philip IV, King of Spain, 1605-1665, recipient
Call numberMs. Codex 179
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580593
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish, with one poem in Portuguese (f. 157r)
- ca. 1600-1799
Collection of poems and verses. Begins with Decimas (3 ten-line verses, f. 1v) and Pintura de una dama (f. 2r-6r). Includes Pregunta fabio à Menandro; a poem whose title refers to the Inquisition (f. 67r-68r); Ignazio de Salazar, Poema eroico; Obras satiricas de Dn. Juan de Tarsis, conde de Villamediana (starting f. 167r); verses on the death of the conde de Villamediana by Luis de Gongora, together with a reply by Lope de Vega Carpio, using identical rhymes (f. 261r-262v); and many, many others, including many decimas or dezimas and sonetos or sonettos. A number of the poems are addressed to King Philip IV.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Spine title: Papeles varios.
- Some leaves had at one time been folded and many have been trimmed with minor loss of text. One has the address of a Gomez de Medina (f. 147v). The name Gutierrez appears on the margins of several poems.
Extent268 leaves : 207 x 147 mm. bound to 213 x 152 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 267 + i (contemporary paper); [1-267]; modern foliation in pencil. Irregular contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
Binding18th-century calf with marbled endpapers. The leaves were cut before the volume was bound. On some folios, this has resulted in loss of text. Cover worn at hinges and edges; leather crumbling slightly. Some folios are worn and show indications of tears (especially along old folds), holes, and slight water damage
- Acquired from the estate of Joseph E. Gillet, 1958.
- Spanish literature--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish literature--18th century
- Spanish poetry--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish poetry--18th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2426_0001.tif (78.2 MB)
2426_0001_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
2426_0001_web.jpg (465.1 KB)