Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1790 Arcana quaedam Alberti cognomenti Magni de secretis mulierum.
TitleArcana quaedam Alberti cognomenti Magni de secretis mulierum.
Other related names
- Lenkiewicz, R. O. 1941-2002, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1790
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9969823123503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin and German
- circa 1800
Anthology of excerpts from philosophical and medical works on human reproduction. Beginning with De secretis mulierum, a treatise known for its negative representation of women, often erroneously attributed to Albertus Magnus, the compiler copies and abridges selections from both the text and commentary, likely from a printed edition, sometimes diverging from the order of the text. Other Latin and German excerpts are interspersed with the selections attributed to Albertus Magnus, copied from sources ranging from classical authors such as Democritus and Pliny the Younger to 16th-century scientific authors such as Levinus Lemnius, Girolamo Cardano, and Johann Wittch.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r); the word aliorumque was added to the title page later.
WatermarkA complex watermark is barely visible.
Extent156 leaves : 200 x 175 (120-140 x 125) mm bound to 205 x 185 mm
CollationPaper, i + 156 + i; 1-13¹²; [1-156], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Gatherings 2-13 signed with numbers, lower left first recto.
BindingModern calf, older gilt spine label reading Secretis mulierum / Mss. / Alberti Magni.
- Formerly owned by Robert Lenkiewicz, Appleby Castle, Westmorland.
- Offered at auction at Sotheby's (London), in the sale of the collection of Robert Lenkiewicz, 20 November 2003, part of lot 217.
- Sold at auction at Lyon & Turnbull (Edinburgh), 4 May 2016, lot 88.
- Medicine, Medieval
- Gynecology--Early works to 1800
- Human reproduction--Early works to 1800
- Women--Health and hygiene--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Latin--18th century
- Manuscripts, German--19th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 1790: Arcana quaedam Alberti cognomenti Magni de secretis mulierum. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
6651_0001.tif (74.0 MB)
6651_0001_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
6651_0001_web.jpg (305.6 KB)
mscodex1790_wk1_body0000testref1.tif (173.1 MB)
mscodex1790_wk1_body0000testref1_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
mscodex1790_wk1_body0000testref1_web.jpg (188.4 KB)