Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 186 Comedias
- Cañizares, José de, 1676-1750 Cañizares, José de, 1676-1750
Other related names
- Rennert, Hugo Albert, 1858-1927, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 186
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551777
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish, with four leaves in German at the end
Collection of comedies by José de Cañizares. Table of contents with heading, "Tabla delas com[edia]s que contiene este libro de Figurones de Castro" (f. 1r), with Castro likely referring to a theater or theater owner. However this manuscript contains only the first three of the ten items listed in the index. The last four folios (f. 195r-198v) appear to be different in origin and unrelated to the Cañizares text. The text on them is in German and appears to consist of short diary entries ranging in date between 16 February 1585 and 14 August 1598. At the top of f. 195r a later hand has written the name "Aug. Merz Rotenb.", the phrase "Progymn. Rotenb. Rector" and the date 1862. The notes on f. 198v are in pencil and appear to be later in date than the rest.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from spine.
- Titles of the three plays are taken from the text, from the headings for each act. The titles of the first two plays have a slightly different form as listed in the index (f. 1r): De los hechizos de amor la musica es el mayor y el montañes en la corte; De comedia no se trate, alla ba [= va?] esse disparate.
- Later note on f. 2r: "Esta comedia es de Cañizares. Véase el Catálogo de Barrern , paj. 540." This refers to "De los echizos de amor."
Extent198 leaves : 204 x 148 (195 x 70) mm. bound to 211 x 165 mm
FoliationPaper, i + 198 + i; [1-66, 120-129, 67-119, 130-198]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. (Folios 120-129 were mistakenly bound in out of place, after f. 66).
BindingModern library binding. Some text at the upper and lower margins was cropped off when the edges of the leaves were trimmed before the manuscript was bound. Paper is slightly brittle. Many smudges and stains.
- Formerly owned by Hugo Albert Rennert (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Spanish drama--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish drama--18th century
- Spanish literature--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish literature--18th century
- Plays (document genre)
- Manuscripts, Spanish--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Table of contents
Inside front cover
2429_0001.tif (67.4 MB)
2429_0001_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
2429_0001_web.jpg (323.0 KB)
2429_0006.tif (67.4 MB)
2429_0006_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
2429_0006_web.jpg (350.9 KB)
Section: De los echizos de amor la musica es el mayor, f. 2r
2429_0126.tif (67.4 MB)
2429_0126_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
2429_0126_web.jpg (299.2 KB)
Section: De comedia nosetrate allaba ese disparate, f. 62r
2429_0392.tif (67.4 MB)
2429_0392_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
2429_0392_web.jpg (418.0 KB)
Section: German diary entries and notes, f. 195r