Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 187 Poesias
- Góngora y Argote, Luis de, 1561-1627
Call numberMs. Codex 187
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551778
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1600 and 1650?
Collection of poems by Góngora. The poems are arranged according to type: Sonettos heroicos, amorosos, satyricos, burlescos, funebres, sacros; Canciones heroicas, amorosas, lyricas, funebres, sacras; Octavas sacras; Tercettos heroicos, satyricos; Decimas lyricas, satyricas, burlescas, funebres; Letrillas lyricas, satyricas, burlescas, sacras; Romances lyricos, satyricos, burlescos, funebres, sacros. Also contains "Fábula de Polyphemo" (f. 216r-223v); and "Soledades dirigidas al Excelentissimo Señor Duque de Bejar" (f. 224r-250v), in two parts. There is an alphabetical index of the poems (f. 1r-37v, preceding p. 1).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from heading of index (f. 1r).
- In its present form this manuscript is incomplete. In addition to the missing pages listed above, the volume is missing an unknown number of pages at the end: the text ends abruptly on p. 452, in the middle of the "Soledad segunda" and with a catchword at the bottom of the page. Also, there are references in the index to works beginning on pages numbered higher than 452.
Extent250 leaves : 210 x 145 (173 x 95) mm. bound to 212 x 149 mm
FoliationPaper, 250; [xxxvii], 1-66, 71-76, 79-134, 137-148, 151-226, 231-274, 279-298, 303-366, 371-452, contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corner; [1-250], modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
BindingContemporary gilt calf. Binding has been repaired and rebacked, so original extent of volume cannot be determined. Leather of binding crumbling in places. Many leaves torn and frayed at the edges. Some leaves very fragile. Many stains and smudges. Outer edge of f. 17 missing, appears to have been torn off. Folios 101 and 102 cut or torn at the gutter and almost completely separated from the binding.
- Formerly owned by Don Justo de Sancha (from title page of a catalogue for the sale of the Spanish literature collection belonging to the late Don Justo de Sancha, to be held on 3-4 December 1860, at the firm of S. Leigh Sotheby ? this title page was laid into the manuscript and is now on file in the Library). Other owners include: Bateman (bookplate, inside upper cover) and Hugo A. Rennert (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Spanish literature--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish poetry--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — Index, f. 1r
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
2430_0001.tif (66.4 MB)
2430_0001_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
2430_0001_web.jpg (335.3 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
2430_0004.tif (66.4 MB)
2430_0004_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
2430_0004_web.jpg (369.3 KB)
Section: Index, f. 1r