Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 188 Los Benavides
- Vega, Lope de, 1562-1635
Other related names
- Sessa, Luis Fernández de Córdoba Cardona y Aragón, duque de, 1582-1645?, former owner
- Geigy-Hagenbach, Karl, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 188
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551769
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Autograph manuscript copy of the play Los Benavides, by Lope de Vega Carpio, in the hand of the author. Play in three acts. The author's signature, together with the place and date, are on the verso of the last leaf (at the end of Act III). In the signature, the L of Lope is entwined with the M of Micaela. This monogram also appears at the end of Act II.
- Ms. codex.
- Title and attribution taken from later paper wrapper. No overall title in the manuscript.
- Lope appears to give the play the title "El primero Benavides" (cf. heading before the text of Act II: Del Prim[er]o Benavides Acto 2o).
- Note at the end of the text of Act II: Benabides [sic] de Lope de Bega [sic]. 1607.
- This manuscript has 148 more lines than the first printed text, Parte II, Madrid, 1609. (See Reichenberger, A. "The Cast of Lope's Los Benavides." Homage to John Mill (Indiana University, 1968)).
Extent56 leaves : 219 x 157 (195 x 75) mm
Foliation[i], 1-17, [ii], 1-17, [ii], 1-17 (each quire separately foliated); contemporary Arabic numerals, upper right recto.
BindingIn three quires (each of the three acts in one quire). Not sewn; wrapped in later paper leaf.
- Duke of Sessa; Karl Geigy-Hagenbach (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Acquired, 1961.
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, Spanish--16th century
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — [Act I]
Inside front cover
0901_0001.tif (72.1 MB)
0901_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
0901_0001_web.jpg (193.6 KB)
0901_0004.tif (72.6 MB)
0901_0004_thumb.jpg (5.9 KB)
0901_0004_web.jpg (418.3 KB)
Section: [Act I]