Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1892 Abridged history of Arab dynasties.
TitleAbridged history of Arab dynasties.
- Constance L. Rosenthal Book Fund
Other related names
- Makiya, Mohamed, former owner
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1892
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9969738033503681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- between 1650 and 1699?
An abridged copy of a history of several Arab dynasties, ending with the Almohads. This volume contains three partial chapters: the end of an abridgement of chapter 1, chapter 2, and the beginning of chapter 3. The text begins and ends abruptly. Chapter 2 (f. 47v-90r) is about the Prophet Muhammad. Chapter 3 starts with the first four Caliphs, continues through the Umayyads (f. 103r-120v), tours briefly through the Abbasid rulers (f. 120v-142v), mentions the Fatimids (f. 143v), then follows up with brief accounts of the Almohad rulers through al-Ḥasan al-Saʻīd ibn Yaʻqūb al-Manṣūr (d. 646 A.H = 1249).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
WatermarkTrefoil above initials G/V or 6/V on some leaves. Venetian tre lune on some leaves.
Extent150 leaves : 300 x 205 (204 x 115) mm bound to 300 x 204 mm
FoliationModern western numeral foliation in pencil; catchwords on each verso, lower left.
BindingBound in blind stamped red leather with flap (Type II) over pasteboard; endbands in yellow thread; front and back covers have embossed frames and contain blind stamped mandorla of green leather onlay with two pendants on the vertical axis; flap also holds two green leather blind stamped onlay pendants; doublure of thin, brown leather, scored in a regular pattern along inside foredge flap; doublure of envelope flap covered over with pinkish paper cut in a pattern along the long edge and two cutaways colored blue; pastedowns have been sloppily replaced by modern, white paper.
- Formerly owned by Mohamed Makiya.
- Sold at auction at Christie's (South Kensington) as part of the Mohamed Makiya collection, 18 April 2016, lot 145.
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--17th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1892: Abridged history of Arab dynasties. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1892: Abridged history of Arab dynasties.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — [Abridged history of Arab dynasties]
Inside front cover
7012_0001.tif (132.9 MB)
7012_0001_thumb.jpg (2.6 KB)
7012_0001_web.jpg (136.9 KB)
7012_0002.tif (132.9 MB)
7012_0002_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
7012_0002_web.jpg (437.0 KB)
Section: [Abridged history of Arab dynasties]
Inside back cover [flap open to show design
7012_0302.tif (195.6 MB)
7012_0302_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
7012_0302_web.jpg (229.5 KB)
Back cover [flap opened to show design
7012_0303.tif (200.6 MB)
7012_0303_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
7012_0303_web.jpg (444.8 KB)
Back cover [flap closed
7012_0304.tif (132.9 MB)
7012_0304_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
7012_0304_web.jpg (382.6 KB)
Fore edge [flap closed, inside front cover
7012_0306.tif (33.6 MB)
7012_0306_thumb.jpg (1.8 KB)
7012_0306_web.jpg (76.7 KB)
Fore edge [flap open
7012_0307.tif (33.8 MB)
7012_0307_thumb.jpg (2.2 KB)
7012_0307_web.jpg (102.0 KB)