Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 1897 al-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
Titleal-Qurʼān. / [القرآن]
Other related names
- Shore, Offley Bohun Stovin Fairless, 1863-1922, former owner
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 1897
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9977406953003681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Likely copied in South Asia in the mid- to late-19th century; machine made paper.
- between 1830 and 1899?
Qur'ān; complete except for first folio.
- Ms. codex.
- First folio missing; first full āyah is verse 12 in Sūrat al-Baqarah (2:12).
- Manuscript is in poor condition; many leaves are loose; binding is off; worm damage; water and fire damage throughout.
Extent477 leaves : 295 x 185 (212 x 106) mm bound to 295 x 195 mm
FoliationWestern numeral foliation in pencil added, upper left recto (not visible in images); catchwords on every verso, lower left.
BindingBound in reddish brown leather over pasteboard (Type III); headband in black and brown thread; seperate marbled paper pastedowns inside both covers; detached reddish textile wrapper; blind stamped and gilded mandorlas on front and back covers with four pendants along vertical axis and cornerpieces; covers are badly water and fire damaged.
- Formerly owned by Col. Offley Shore.
- Gift of Offley Shore.
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--18th century
- Manuscripts, Arabic--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1897: al-Qurʼān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 1897: al-Qurʼān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1r — [al-Qurʼān]
Inside front cover
7193_0001.tif (129.6 MB)
7193_0001_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
7193_0001_web.jpg (286.8 KB)
7193_0004.tif (129.6 MB)
7193_0004_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
7193_0004_web.jpg (339.4 KB)
Wrap [open with book
7193_0966.tif (149.5 MB)
7193_0966_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
7193_0966_web.jpg (463.9 KB)
Wrap [closed over book, front
7193_0967.tif (120.7 MB)
7193_0967_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
7193_0967_web.jpg (536.6 KB)