Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 1916 Sharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik. / شرح مختصر على ألفية ابن مالك
TitleSharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik. / شرح مختصر على ألفية ابن مالك
- Makkūdī, ʻAbd al-Raḥmān ibn ʻAlī, -1404 or 1405 مكودي، عبد الرحمن بن علي،
- Ibn Mālik, Muḥammad ibn ʻAbd Allāh, -1274 ابن مالك، محمد بن عبد الله،
Other related names
- Jastrow, Marcus, 1829-1903, former owner
- Jastrow, Morris, Jr., 1861-1921, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 1916
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
- bibid: 9977406946103681
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
Likely copied in North Africa; copy completed in A.H. 29 Rajab 1206 (March 23, 1792) (f. 214r); another date in the colophon states that the writing was completed on 22 Rajab 999, but this is likely the date of completion of an earlier version from which this copyist worked.
- A.H. 1206 (1792)
Abridged commentary on a work of grammar by Ibn Mālik known as the Alfīyah.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from introduction (f. 1v).
- Some leaves have been replaced and copied in different hands; the work is written on several different types of paper and in at least three hands, all using maghribi script.
Extent214 leaves : 215 x 160 (140 x 95) mm bound to 215 x 170 mm
FoliationModern foliation in pencil added, upper left recto (except f. 2, which is marked on verso); catchwords lower left versos.
BindingThe body of the book is completely detached from the cover. This cover does not appear ever to have been bound onto the book, but is wrapped around it to give the appearance of a bound volume. The covers are light grayish-brown textile over pasteboard with flap (Type II); pastedowns on inside covers and flap are reused leaves from another text.
- Formerly owned by Marcus Jastrow and Morris Jastrow, Jr.
- Accessioned, 1934.
- Arabic language--Grammar--Early works to 1800
- Codices (bound manuscripts)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--18th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1916: Sharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Ms. Codex 1916: Sharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
- fol. 1v — Sharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik.
Inside front cover
7036_0001.tif (80.1 MB)
7036_0001_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
7036_0001_web.jpg (480.9 KB)
7036_0003.tif (80.1 MB)
7036_0003_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
7036_0003_web.jpg (347.9 KB)
Section: Sharḥ Mukhtaṣar ʻalá Alfīyat Ibn Mālik.
Inside back cover [flap open to show design
7036_0432.tif (128.5 MB)
7036_0432_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB)
7036_0432_web.jpg (409.1 KB)
Back cover [flap opened to show design
7036_0433.tif (133.2 MB)
7036_0433_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
7036_0433_web.jpg (347.6 KB)
Back cover [flap closed
7036_0434.tif (80.1 MB)
7036_0434_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
7036_0434_web.jpg (538.1 KB)
Fore edge [flap closed, inside front cover
7036_0436.tif (34.8 MB)
7036_0436_thumb.jpg (2.7 KB)
7036_0436_web.jpg (197.2 KB)
Fore edge [flap open
7036_0437.tif (34.8 MB)
7036_0437_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
7036_0437_web.jpg (219.2 KB)