Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 193 Cancionero
- Camões, Luís de, 1524?-1580
- León, Luis de, 1527-1591
- Ledesma, Pedro de
- Rosas de Oquendo, Mateo, b. 1559
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 193
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551781
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSpanish, with 2 poems by Camões in Portuguese
- ca. 1600
Leon or Estremadura
Collection of 205 poems, including five repeats, mostly by unnamed authors. Includes two poems by Luis de Camões (f. 45v-46v) and others by Luis de León, Fray Pedro de Ledesma and Mateo Rosas de Oquendo. A sonnet concerning the death of a king (f. 68v) probably refers to Philip II. Also includes medical recipes (f. 11v-12r) and a partial index (f. 43r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch); attributions to Camões, León, Ledesma and Rosas de Oquendo taken from Sotheby's catalog and Zacour-Hirsch.
Extent191 leaves : 208 x 155 mm. bound to 215 x 160 mm
FoliationPaper, 191; 2-192; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary calf, with remains of leather ties; upper board broken; cover badly worn; evidence of worm damage. Inscriptions in ink on upper and lower covers and on spine obliterated through wear. First quire slightly loose. Piece missing from f. 2, causing some loss of text. Wormhole going through several leaves toward the front of the volume. Several leaves damaged and torn. Many stains and smudges.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 4317 (spine label). Spine also bears an earlier label, "53".
- Sold at auction at Sotheby's, 26 June 1973.
- Spanish literature--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Spanish poetry--Classical period, 1500-1700
- Manuscripts, Spanish--16th century
- Manuscripts, Spanish--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2434_0001.tif (73.4 MB)
2434_0001_thumb.jpg (5.1 KB)
2434_0001_web.jpg (307.1 KB)