Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 199 A dream of bounden dutie :
TitleA dream of bounden dutie :
- Archer, Michell Archer, Michell
Other related names
- Elizabeth I, Queen of Great Britain, dedicatee
Call numberMs. Codex 199
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580596
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1580
Poem dedicated to Queen Elizabeth that is evidently unpublished. Consists of dedication; introductory verses in rhyming couplets; poem proper in 224 seven-line stanzas, divided into seven parts or books.
- Ms. codex.
- Title and author taken from verso of front endleaf. Author statement occurs before statement of dedication: A Dream of Bounden Dutie by Michell Archer. Dedicated to Queen Elizabeth.
- Author's name spelled "Mighell Archar" at end of dedication (f. 1v). At end of work author's last name given as "Archer".
- Dedication (f. 1r): "My unlearned travayle and symple invention by me named a dreame of bounden duetie I hit heare dedicate unto you my moste Sovereigne redoubted ... Ladye to yis ende and extent that when youre moste royall estate and excellent Ma[jes]tie shall wexe wery of grave profounde studie as well phylosophicall as matter apperteynynge to publique governement and Common Weale. Then yis my wellment ignorance might be taken into your gratius handes ... "
- Incipit of prologue (f. 2r): In a mornyng before ye day / It was in January and not in May / Were it for watching or labour / So sound I slept that lute ne tabour / ...
Extent61 leaves : 134 x 152 (109 x 69) mm. bound to 140 x 156 mm
FoliationParchment, i (18th-century paper) + 61 + i (18th-century paper); [1-61]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Binding18th-century green velvet. Front cover board and first five quires completely detached. Cover peeled off of spine.
- Formerly owned by Narcissus Luttrell (monogram and date, 1693, f. 1r).
- Sold by Raphael King (London), cat. 50 (1950), no. 135.
- English literature--16th century
- English poetry--16th century
- Manuscripts, English--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
1202_0001.tif (47.4 MB)
1202_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1202_0001_web.jpg (334.7 KB)