Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 200 Animadversions upon A treatise latelie published and intituled The Love of God to Mankind
TitleAnimadversions upon A treatise latelie published and intituled The Love of God to Mankind
- Davenant, John, ca. 1572-1641
Other related names
- Clarke, Adam, ca. 1762-1832, associated name
- Everett, James, 1784-1872, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 200
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486429
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with quotations in Latin
A manuscript of Bishop of Salisbury John Davenant's book which was printed in London in 1641. It is a response to Samuel Hoard's God's Love to Mankind. Manifested by Disproving His Absolute Decree for their Damnation, London, 1633, and is perhaps in the hand of, or owned by John Davenant (attribution, inside upper cover).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 1r).
- On inside upper cover is written in pencil: "An original Manuscript of Bishop Davenant"; underneath this is written "(The above is in the autograph of Adam Clarke LL. D.)"; and "(from the Rev. James Everett's Library)." Adam Clarke (1762?-1832) was a noted Wesleyan preacher, commentator, and theological writer. This manuscript was apparently not a part of his personal library for it does not appear in the Historical and Descriptive Catalogue of the European and Asiatic Manuscripts in the Library of the late Dr. Adam Clarke prepared by Joseph Butterworth B. Clarke for Southeby in 1835. James Everett (1784-1872) was a Wesleyan preacher and bookseller. He was also an intimate friend and biographer of Adam Clarke. Perhaps Clarke put his note in Everett's ms. while in his shop one day. [This note by University of Pennsylvania Librarian Thomas R. Adams, who accessioned this manuscript in 1952.].
Extent111 leaves : 312 x 200 (279 x 133) mm. bound to 318 x 209 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 109 + i (contemporary paper); [1-109]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
Binding18th-century calf, rebacked.
Several manicules (f. 26r, 59r, 59v, 62r, 62v).
- Formerly owned by Algernon Capell, Earl of Essex, Viscount Maldon, and Baron Capell of Hadham, 1701 [bookplate]; James Everett; T. Edward Ross [bookplate].
- Gift of T. Edward Ross, 1949.
- Election (Theology)
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1204_0001.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
1204_0001_web.jpg (223.7 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
1204_0054.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0054_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1204_0054_web.jpg (327.4 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 26r
1204_0120.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0120_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
1204_0120_web.jpg (318.0 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 59r
1204_0121.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0121_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1204_0121_web.jpg (325.9 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 59v
1204_0126.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0126_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1204_0126_web.jpg (329.6 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 62r
1204_0127.tif (71.7 MB)
1204_0127_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
1204_0127_web.jpg (315.1 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 62v