Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 201 New Testament in the translation of John Wycliffe
TitleNew Testament in the translation of John Wycliffe
Other related names
- Wycliffe, John, d. 1384, translator
- Ross, T. Edward, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 201
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1551783
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageMiddle English; some works in Latin
Written in England; late 14th to early 15th century.
- late 14th to early 15th century
Also includes poems and other scriptural, liturgical and devotional works.
- Ms. codex.
- Description taken from Josephine A. Koster's master's thesis on this manuscript (copy on file in the Library).
- Marginal glosses in Old English and Latin on ff. 42v, 46v. and 212r.
- The Middle English poem on f. 4r observes poetic lineation; T. Edward Ross erroneously concluded that it was "written in prose," possibly because of cropping that destroyed some line endings (A Catalogue of the T. Edward Ross Collection, pp. 27-28).
- The traditional prologue to the Epistle of James has been transferred to the Epistles of Peter. Ross mistakenly concludes that this prologue "is not found in any of the manuscripts examined by Forshall and Madden" (A Catalogue of the T. Edward Ross Collection, p. 28).
- The autograph of Gilbert, Bishop of Bath and Wells, appears on f. 1r. This office was held by two men named Gilbert: Gilbert Bourne, in office 1554-1560; and Gilbert Berkeley, in office 1560-1581.
- Thirteenth folio before the end has been partly cut out; final four folios are badly torn with loss of text.
Extent239 leaves : 185 x 113 (146 x 85) mm. bound to 193 x 120 mm
FoliationParchment, i (near contemporary parchment) + 239 + i (near contemporary parchment) leaves; [i-viii], 1-54, [55-470]. Individual books of the New Testament paginated independently in a later hand.
CollationI², II-XXVIII⁴, XXIX⁴ (-1), XXX⁵, XXXI¹.
Binding16th-century calf, with a gilded design.
Extensive use of red for headings and filigree; blue for initials.
- Gilbert, Bishop of Bath and Wells (autograph, f. 1r).
- Gift of T. Edward Ross, 1947 (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Catholic Church--Discipline
- Catholic Church--Liturgy
- Christian poetry, English (Middle)
- Devotional literature, English (Middle)
- English literature--Middle English, 1100-1500
- English poetry--Middle English, 1100-1500
- Religious poetry, English
- Manuscripts, English (Middle)--14th century
- Manuscripts, English (Middle)--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Table of contents
- 1 — Gospel of Matthew, p. 1
Inside front cover
3760_0001.tif (51.0 MB)
3760_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
3760_0001_web.jpg (312.0 KB)
3760_0014.tif (51.3 MB)
3760_0014_thumb.jpg (5.5 KB)
3760_0014_web.jpg (378.7 KB)
Section: Gospel of Matthew, p. 1