Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 206 The divine politicks
TitleThe divine politicks
- Lawson, George, d. 1678 Lawson, George, d. 1678
Other related names
- Humphrey, William, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 206
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486432
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1650 and 1699?
Theological treatise on divine governance, first published in 1659 under the title Theo-politica, or, A body of divinity containing the rules of the special government of God, according to which, he orders the immortal and intellectual creatures, angels, and men, to their final and eternal estate : being a method of those saving truths, which are contained in the Canon of the Holy Scripture, and abridged in those words of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which were the ground and foundation of those apostolical creeds and forms of confessions, related by the ancients, and, in particular, by Irenaeus, and Tertullian. Text divided into 2 books: the first book, on the doctrine of the Kingdom of God, consists of 16 chapters (f. 1-79); the second book, titled "The 2 booke concerning ye gover[n]m[en]t of God redeemer" consists of 24 chapters (f. 81-336), and includes chapters on each of the ten commandments.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Incipit: The divine politicks informe us of the kingdome of God and of his power, and how it is acquired, how exercised both in ye constitutio[n] and ye administration[n] of his governm[en]t ... (f. 3r).
Extent341 leaves : 186 x 152 (155 x 100) mm. bound to 202 x 153 mm
FoliationPaper, 341; [iii], [1-336], [ii]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Signatures numbered 1-84 in a contemporary hand, upper outer corner. First signature misbound, text begins on f. 3.
BindingContemporary calf. Cover worn and cracked, flaking from spine, a number of signatures are detached at the beginning.
- Formerly owned by William Humphri [Humphrey?] (signature, f. i recto).
- Anonymous gift, 1914.
- Kingdom of God--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1206_0001.tif (72.3 MB)
1206_0001_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
1206_0001_web.jpg (295.4 KB)