Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 214 Recipe book
- Cotton, Catharine Cotton, Catharine
- Allen, Josep Allen, Josep
Call numberMs. Codex 214
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2362773
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Recipe book containing cooking and medical recipes in several hands. Several recipes are attributed to others, for example, to "Lady Morgen, "Lady Dolben," and "Mrs. Anne Sheldon." A medical prescription and recipe for "A sovereign remedy for bile" is signed "Dr. Josep Allen" (f. 7v with book reversed). Near the end in a section of blank pages is a satirical poem entitled "A receipt how to make a right Presbyterian in two days" (f. 15r with book reversed).
- Ms. codex.
- Attribution and date from title page, where first name is spelled "Catharine," elsewhere in volume and on covers it is "Catherine."
- Several pages nearly detached.
Extent105 leaves : 200 x 158 mm. bound to 205 x 161 mm
FoliationPaper, 105; [ii], 1, 2, 5-43, [44-105]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners. Folio 12 has been torn out, other unnumbered leaves torn out; 24 blank leaves in middle. Reverse of the book has 7 leaves of mostly medical recipes.
BindingContemporary leather with name Catherine:Cotton: embossed on both covers.
- Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Traditional medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1210_0001.tif (68.5 MB)
1210_0001_thumb.jpg (3.0 KB)
1210_0001_web.jpg (198.1 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
1210_0043.tif (68.4 MB)
1210_0043_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
1210_0043_web.jpg (190.8 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
1210_0044.tif (68.4 MB)
1210_0044_thumb.jpg (2.5 KB)
1210_0044_web.jpg (179.0 KB)