Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 217 La Pucelle, or the Maid of Orleans
TitleLa Pucelle, or the Maid of Orleans
- Voltaire, 1694-1778 Voltaire, 1694-1778
Call numberMs. Codex 217
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486440
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, translated from French, with words and phrases in French and Latin in the notes
England, after 1796
Cantos 1-4 only of Voltaire's poem about Joan of Arc, transcribed directly from the privately printed 1796-1797 translation. There are a number of annotations and corrections in ink and in pencil in the text.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. ii recto).
Extent140 leaves : 371 x 236 mm. bound to 388 x 254 mm
FoliationPaper, 140; [i-vi, 1], 2-8, [9-134 (127-134 blank)]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
Binding18th-century quarter calf with marbled boards.
- Sold by H. M. Fletcher (London), 1951.
- French poetry--18th century--Translations into English
- Manuscripts, European
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 217: La Pucelle, or the Maid of Orleans are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4266_0001.tif (83.0 MB)
4266_0001_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
4266_0001_web.jpg (139.5 KB)