Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 254 Teseide
- Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375 Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375
Other related names
- Macauley, Francis Campbell, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 254
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580862
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Manuscript of the Teseide of Boccaccio. First three folios missing. This manuscript lacks the first 20 verses and ends with verse 83 of book xii, followed by a somewhat later inscription indicating ownership of "Bartolomeo & Tomaso Cholnj[?] Chessetto [or Chessello]" and an inscription on the verso of the last leaf. The text belongs to the B group of manuscripts (cf. Salvatore Battaglia's critical edition, Florence, 1938).
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Various smudges and stains. A few folios trimmed close to the text. First and last folios show evidence of conservation repairs. In some places the rebinding has virtually eliminated the gutter.
Extent66 leaves : 295 x 212 (249 x 190) mm. bound to 303 x 223 mm
FoliationPaper, iv + 66 + iv; 4-23, [24-29], 30-69; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingFull brown Niger; bound by R. R. Donnelley, 1953.
Red used on some earlier pages for headings and highlights, with 2 red initials (f. 4v, 5r).
- Bartolomeo and Tomaso Cholnj[?] Chessetto [or Chessello] (inscription, f. 69r).
- Gift of Francis Campbell Macauley, 1953.
- Italian literature--14th century
- Italian poetry--14th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0719_0001.tif (66.2 MB)
0719_0001_thumb.jpg (3.3 KB)
0719_0001_web.jpg (247.4 KB)