Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 256 Manual of a Venetian consigliere, written for Giovanni Francesco Basadonna
TitleManual of a Venetian consigliere, written for Giovanni Francesco Basadonna
- Basadonna, Giovanni Francesco
- Padavia, Marc Antonio
Call numberMs. Codex 256
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580871
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- ca. 1560
Manual of a Venetian consigliere, an assistant to the mayor of Venice, outlining the duties of his office. It also gives valuable information on the setup of the Venetian city administration. There are chapters on balloting, the handling of shipwrecked merchandise, the famous "Concilio de'Dieci," the issuing of passports, the court of justice and many other subjects. This manuscript was written for Giovanni Francesco Basadonna, and it begins with the oath he swore to his superior (f. 1v). (The spelling "Basadonna" seems certain; "Basadona," as on the spine of the slipcase, seems to be a misinterpretation of the name as given on f. 1v.)
- Ms. codex.
- No title given in the manuscript.
- Signed by Marc Antonio Padavia (f. 57r), who might be the author as well as the scribe.
- No date in manuscript; date taken from Zacour-Hirsch Catalogue and from seller's note (on file in the Library).
- Cover wearing at spine; evidence of worm damage to cover. Paper endleaves stained, with a few wormholes.
Extent60 leaves : 228 x 156 (154 x 103) mm. bound to 236 x 166 mm
FoliationParchment, iii+ 60 + iii; [iii], 1-60, [iii], contemporary arabic numerals, upper right recto. The unnumbered leaves at the front at back are paper endleaves.
BindingContemporary red velvet over boards. In a modern slipcase.
Full-page painting (f. 1r) in vivid colors depicting the patron saints of Basadonna, St. Francis of Assisi and St. John the Apostle, against a mountainous background in a gold ornamental frame. Above them, inset into the frame as a miniature, is the Venetian patron St. Mark depicted (as is customary) as a lion. Opening words in gold, chapter headings in red.
- Comes Hercules Silva (stamp, f. 57v).
- Sold by Helmuth Wallach, 1955.
- Venice (Republic : To 1797).--Consiglio dei Dieci
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Table of contents
- fol. 57r — Scribe's signature, Marc Antonio Padavia, f. 57r
Inside front cover
1378_0001.tif (73.8 MB)
1378_0001_thumb.jpg (5.6 KB)
1378_0001_web.jpg (264.4 KB)
1378_0008.tif (73.8 MB)
1378_0008_thumb.jpg (7.0 KB)
1378_0008_web.jpg (326.8 KB)
Decoration: Miniature, St. Francis of Assisi and St. John the Apostle, f. 1r
1378_0120.tif (73.8 MB)
1378_0120_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
1378_0120_web.jpg (233.9 KB)
Section: Scribe's signature, Marc Antonio Padavia, f. 57r
1378_0121.tif (74.0 MB)
1378_0121_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
1378_0121_web.jpg (298.6 KB)
Decoration: Owner's stamp, Comes Hercules Silva, f. 57v