Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 259 Poetical miscellany
Call numberMs. Codex 259
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580874
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Italy, ca. 1600 (Zacour-Hirsch). Notes of Neda Westlake (on file in Library) suggest ca. 1580.
- ca. 1600
Collection of poems.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
- Generally in good condition. Cover wearing and splitting at hinges. Some evidence of worm damage, especially on inside lower cover.
Extent85 leaves : 211 x 153 (225 x 205) mm. bound to 222 x 161 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 85 + i (contemporary paper); [1-85]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary Italian gilt morocco with gauffered page edges. Lower cover has a medallion with a red fleur-de-lis design. Upper cover medallion also had a design but it has largely been worn away; it appears to have included an animal and a book.
- Formerly owned by Henry Chandon de Briailles (bookplates, inside upper cover).
- Sold by Laurence Witten (New Haven, Conn.), 1955.
- Italian literature--16th century
- Italian poetry--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
4227_0001.tif (71.6 MB)
4227_0001_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
4227_0001_web.jpg (283.5 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
mscodex2590055287.tif (71.6 MB)
mscodex2590055287_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
mscodex2590055287_web.jpg (344.7 KB)