Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 288 Papal diplomatic instructions and other correspondence
TitlePapal diplomatic instructions and other correspondence
- Eugene IV, Pope, 1383-1447
- Clement VIII, Pope, 1536-1605
- Paul V, Pope, 1552-1621
Call numberMs. Codex 288
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580899
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageMostly in Italian; some items in Latin
- ca. 1620
Volume containing copies of papal diplomatic instructions and other correspondence, mostly concerning the period 1570-1620. This volume appears to be volume four of a set. Concerns in particular the pontificates of Clement VIII and Paul V. Includes: instructions to Spain (1591); Hungary (1594-1596); Transylvania (1594-1595); Poland (1595); Republic of Venice (1607); Kingdom of Naples (1620); several relating to the war against the Turks (1570); negotiations with the King of Spain (1594-1595); and a letter of Cardinal Orsini about negotiations in France. Also includes a copy of a lengthy document dating to the pontificate of Eugene IV (d. 1447). Includes a table of contents at the beginning of the volume.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch). Instructiones written inside upper cover in pencil in a much later hand (this is also the first word of the heading of the first document).
- Appears to be in a single cursive hand.
Extent285 leaves : 336 x 228 (275 x 184) mm. bound to 344 x 235 mm
FoliationPaper, 285; [iii], 1-281, ; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary vellum. Cover worn and split in places. Tom. iiii written on upper spine. Inside hinges weak. Various smudges and stains. A few indications of worm damage. Some damage to paper due to oxidation of ink.
- Formerly owned by L. Santacroce (stamp, f. ii recto).
- Sold by Jacques Rosenthal (Munich), 1957.
- Catholic Church--Foreign relations--15th century
- Catholic Church--Foreign relations--16th century
- Catholic Church--Foreign relations--17th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1390_0001.tif (65.4 MB)
1390_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
1390_0001_web.jpg (226.1 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
1390_0563.tif (65.4 MB)
1390_0563_thumb.jpg (2.3 KB)
1390_0563_web.jpg (115.5 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
1390_0564.tif (65.4 MB)
1390_0564_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB)
1390_0564_web.jpg (128.0 KB)