Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 290 La legenda di sanctissimi Thebey soto Dioclitiano & Maximiano imperatori
TitleLa legenda di sanctissimi Thebey soto Dioclitiano & Maximiano imperatori
Call numberMs. Codex 290
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580901
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An Italian version of the extremely popular legend of the martyrdom of the Theban Legion, supposedly decimated in the reign of Diocletian and Maximian because so many of its officers and men adhered to the Christian faith. The massacre is supposed to have taken place at St. Maurice-en-Valais (now in Switzerland). The commander of the legion (which was composed entirely of men from the Thebaid in Egypt) was Maritius, later canonized.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from heading on f. 1r.
- Incipit (f. 1r): Diocletiano essendo doppo Numeriano imperatore electo ...
- Zacour-Hirsch treats the last section, Un altro miracolo che adopo idio per questi sancti martiri (f. 7r-v), as if it were a separate work contained in the manuscript, but it is clearly the final chapter of this account of the Thebaid Legion.
- Leaves stained, some badly. Single quire starting to pull away from cover at bottom. Writing slightly rubbed on some leaves.
Extent8 leaves : 191 x 143 (131 x 92) mm. bound to 199 x 146 mm
CollationParchment, i (modern paper) + 8 + i (modern paper); 1⁸; [1-8]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
- Acquired, 1959.
- Christian saints in literature
- Christian legends
- Martyrdom (Christianity) in literature
- Theban Legion (Legendary saints)
- Manuscripts, Italian--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0529_0001.tif (67.4 MB)
0529_0001_thumb.jpg (3.8 KB)
0529_0001_web.jpg (257.0 KB)