Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 347 Capitolo de Frati
TitleCapitolo de Frati
- Chiesa, Sebastiano Chiesa, Sebastiano
Call numberMs. Codex 347
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580983
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Poem satirizing the Franciscan order, to which the writer appears to have belonged. Consists of eight cantos, arranged in 8-line stanzas, with volume one containing Cantos 1-4 and volume two containing Cantos 5-8. This manuscript consists only part of the entire work. The text of the poem as known from other sources consists of 16 cantos in all.
- Ms. codex.
- Title, attribution and date from title page (v.1, p. i).
- This work is known from other sources as "Il Capitolo Fratesco."
- Note inside upper cover, v. 1: "Autore di quest' Opera è il Padre Tisabesano Secchia [sic]" (known from other sources as "Tisabesano Sechia"). This note appears to be in a slightly later hand than the text. A modern pencil note adds that this is a pseudonym for Sebastiano Chiesa, who is identified in other sources as the author of this poem.
- Incipit (v. 1, p. 1): Canto primo. / Argomento. / Del Capitol Fratesco all' assegnato / Luogo arrivano i Frati a schiere, a schiere: / si grida, e rumoreggia in ogni Lato / ...
- Incipit of first stanza of Canto primo (v. 1, p. 2): Del poetico genio altri la vena / co i liquor d' Ippocrene è di permesso / ...
Extent70, 72 leaves : 167 x 128 (98 x 85) mm. bound to 168 x 130 mm
Foliationv. 1: Paper, 70; [ii], 1-137, ; v. 2: Paper, 72; [ii], 1-139, , [ii]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners. There are occasional traces of other marginal numbers that were cut away when the leaves were trimmed at the time of binding.
BindingContemporary boards. Covers worn, especially at spine and edges. Front pastedown of first volume is pulling away from inside upper cover.
- Purchased, 1963.
- Catholic Church--Discipline
- Franciscans--In literature
- Italian literature
- Italian poetry
- Monasticism and religious orders--Humor
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover (V.1)
2452_0001.tif (44.2 MB)
2452_0001_thumb.jpg (4.4 KB)
2452_0001_web.jpg (283.4 KB)
Inside back cover (V.1)
2452_0142.tif (44.2 MB)
2452_0142_thumb.jpg (3.5 KB)
2452_0142_web.jpg (265.7 KB)
Inside front cover (V.2)
2452_0147.tif (44.2 MB)
2452_0147_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
2452_0147_web.jpg (294.9 KB)
Inside back cover (V.2)
2452_0292.tif (44.2 MB)
2452_0292_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
2452_0292_web.jpg (278.6 KB)