Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 348 Alcune novelle di Messer Giovanni Boccaccio
TitleAlcune novelle di Messer Giovanni Boccaccio
- Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375 Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375
- Petroni, Riccardo Petroni, Riccardo
Other related names
- Alberti, Giovanni Battista, dedicatee
Call numberMs. Codex 348
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580985
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An apparently unpublished verse rendering of five novelle from Boccaccio's Decameron. Rendered in "verso sciolto" by Riccardo Petroni of Siena. Consists of Giornata IV, novelle 1-2, 5; and Giornata X, novelle 3, 10. Dedicated to a Gio[vanni] Battista Alberti (f. 2r). This Alberti is apparently the Sienese author of that name who published works in 1711 and 1717.
- Ms. codex.
- Title and attribution from title page (f. 1r).
- This verse rendering of Boccaccio by Petroni does not appear ever to have been published. The dedication mentions the earlier (complete) rendition in verse by Vincenzo Brugiantino, published in 1554.
- Bookseller's notes (H.P. Kraus) on file in the Library.
Extent146 leaves : 259 x 192 (158 x 120) mm. bound to 267 x 202 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 146 + ii; [1-146]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingModern half leather, probably later than the text. Cover split at outer hinges. Upper cover slightly loose; lower cover nearly detached. Cover peeling off at spine, worn at edges. Various minor stains on leaves. Some slight oxidation of ink.
- Sold in the Giuseppe Martini collection to H. P. Kraus (New York), ca. 1948.
- Sold by H. P. Kraus (New York), 1960.
- Italian literature
- Italian poetry
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1488_0001.tif (98.0 MB)
1488_0001_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1488_0001_web.jpg (304.8 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
1488_0291.tif (98.0 MB)
1488_0291_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB)
1488_0291_web.jpg (131.1 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
1488_0292.tif (98.0 MB)
1488_0292_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
1488_0292_web.jpg (102.2 KB)