Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 356 Canzoni Siciliane raccolte da diversi autori
TitleCanzoni Siciliane raccolte da diversi autori
Other related names
- Canonici, Matteo Luigi, 1727-1805, former owner
- Sneyd, Walter, 1809-1888, former owner
- Butler, Arthur John, 1844-1910, former owner
- Martini, Giuseppe, 1870-1944, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 356
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580995
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, in the Sicilian dialect
Written in Sicily, 1653.
Anthology of Sicilian dialect poetry in ottava rima, extending to nearly 700 stanzas. Apparently compiled by Domnus Josephus Amarchius.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 1r).
- Appears to have been compiled by a Domnus Josephus Amarchius, who wrote his name and the date beneath the title, in Greek letters: [Domnos Ēosephos Amarchēos. Anno a partou ouēpgēnēs 1653]. Only the letters are Greek--the inscription is actually written in Latin, e.g.: "anno a partu virginis". Amarchius consistently uses Greek eta [ē] to represent Latin "i". Amarchius was probably a titled nobleman or a Benedictine monk.
- Brief description of the item, probably by an unidentified bookseller, on file in the Library. This description was the source of some descriptive information.
Extent178 leaves : 135 x 95 (109 x 85) mm. bound to 143 x 107 mm
FoliationPaper, ii + 176 + ii; [i], 1-133, 133-174; contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto. The numbers at the upper center verso appear to be stanza numbers.
BindingVenetian 18th-century parchment. Various stains and smudges.
- Former owners include: Jacopo Soranzo (1686-1761); Matteo Luigi Canonici (1727-1806); Walter Sneyd (bookplate, inside upper cover); Arthur John Butler (bookplate, recto of front flyleaf; Giuseppe Martini collection.
- Purchased, 1960.
- Italian literature--17th century
- Italian literature--Italy--Sicily
- Italian poetry--17th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
0610_0001.tif (30.5 MB)
0610_0001_thumb.jpg (8.6 KB)
0610_0001_web.jpg (393.0 KB)