Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 369 Lettera a Madama Cristina di Lorena, Granduchessa di Toscana
TitleLettera a Madama Cristina di Lorena, Granduchessa di Toscana
- Galilei, Galileo, 1564-1642 Galilei, Galileo, 1564-1642
Other related names
- Christine, of Lorraine, Grand Duchess, consort of Ferdinand I, Grand Duke of Tuscany, 1565-1636, recipient
- Macauley, Francis Campbell, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 369
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486582
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, with a few quotations in Latin
- after 1615
Letter to Maria Cristina, consort of Ferdinand I, de' Medici, Grand Duke of Tuscany, in defense of the Copernican system. Cf. his Opera, v. 5 (Florence, 1895), pp. 307-348. This may perhaps be one of a number of manuscript copies, not in Galileo's hand, which were circulated among scholars.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from Zacour-Hirsch Catalogue, no overall title in manuscript.
- Incipit: Alla serenissima madama la Gran Duchessa...
Extent58 leaves : 218 x 157 (158 x 109) mm. bound to 222 x 162 mm
FoliationPaper, i (modern paper) + 59 + i (modern paper); [1-59]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Catchwords on each page, lower right corner.
Engraved portrait of Galilei (Piroli sc.) inserted as frontispiece.
- Formerly owned by Francis Campbell Macauley (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Astronomy--Early works to 1800
- Religion and science--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- fol. 2v — Engraving, Bust of Galileo, f. 2v
Inside front cover
0876_0001.tif (52.2 MB)
0876_0001_thumb.jpg (3.4 KB)
0876_0001_web.jpg (185.9 KB)
0876_0007.tif (50.0 MB)
0876_0007_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0876_0007_web.jpg (456.1 KB)
Decoration: Engraving, Bust of Galileo, f. 2v