Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 404 Partenope liberata
- Donzelli, Giuseppe, 1596-1670
Other related names
- Stirling Maxwell, William, 1818-1878, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 404
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486581
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, with later notes in English
- ca. 1647
A contemporary or slightly later manuscript copy of Donzelli's extensive history of the revolution in Naples. The printed edition appeared in 1647 as "Parte prima," comprising what in this manuscript is designated "libro primo" and "libro secundo." According to manuscript notes in this volume, "libro terzo" included here was never printed. Also includes two poems: Sonetti fatti per Masanello [sic], and Sonetto per la rivoluzione di Napoli, at the end of Part 2 (f. 309r, 310v).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 2r).
Extent375 leaves : 214 x 153 (172 x 100) mm. bound to 224 x 172 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (modern paper) + 375 + ii (modern paper); [1-375]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Irregular contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto.
- Formerly owned by William Stirling (bookplate, inside upper cover); and possibly John Auldjo (initials, f. 374r).
- Purchased, 1962.
- Italian poetry--17th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 404: Partenope liberata are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- Inside front cover — Bookplate, Inside front cover
Inside front cover
4862_0001.tif (80.7 MB)
4862_0001_thumb.jpg (4.2 KB)
4862_0001_web.jpg (221.7 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover