Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Oversize Ms. Codex 43 Manhaj al-ʻilm wa-al-bayān wa-nuzhat al-samʻ wa-al-aʻyān. / منهج العلم والبيان ونزهة السمع والعيان
TitleManhaj al-ʻilm wa-al-bayān wa-nuzhat al-samʻ wa-al-aʻyān. / منهج العلم والبيان ونزهة السمع والعيان
- Ibn Kabūlakh, Muḥammad ibn ʻAlī ibn ʻĪsá ابن كبولخ، محمد بن علي بن عيسى
Other related names
- Sulaymān ibn Yūsuf ibn Sulaymān, scribe سليمان بن يوسف بن سليمان.
- Easson, Henry, Reverend, former owner
- Jastrow, Morris, Jr., 1861-1921, former owner
- Rosengarten, J. G. 1835-1921, former owner
Call numberOversize Ms. Codex 43
(3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104-6206., University of Pennsylvania, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts)
PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania
- A.H. 1268 (1852)
Book on Shiʻī esoteric wisdom. Relates to the Alawī Ghulāt community. Concerning doctrines and beliefs.
- Title from introduction (p. 1).
- Copy of a poem and vocabulary sheet laid in. Calligraphic design in black ink and colored sketch of a tree in orange and yellow drawn into the back inside cover. Sketches of swords on back flyleaf.
- Letter dated 13 December 1907 from Dr. S.A. Sterrett Metheny to Dr. Morris Jastrow, Jr. was laid into the manuscript. Metheny indicates that the manuscript had been bought about twenty years earlier by Rev. Henry Easson, a Presbyterian missionary, from a Turkish soldier who said he had captured it in the house of a sheikh during a punitive expedition to the Ansyri mountains east of Latakia. This letter has been added to the Library's Miscellaneous Manuscripts collection and filed under Metheny, S. A photocopy of the letter is on file along with the notes on this manuscript.
- Seal of Solomon written out (p. 329) and also a stamp with the name Sulaymā̄n appear in several places throughout (p. 1, 156, 329, for example).
WatermarkMost leaves marked with Tre lune with a single initial, either B or G; a few leaves have a name in block letters.
Extent214 leaves : 322 x 215 (235 x 150) mm bound to 315 x 220 mm
FoliationPagination has been added on every page, upper right corner (1-259), then on every verso, upper right corner (261-419). Some foliation in pencil has been added to the upper left rectos as well, especially at the end. References in the record are to the pagination as it appears.
BindingBound in reddish leather with flap on the right side as the book opens (Type II). Covers are blind stamped with sets of double lines forming a double frame with two sets crossing diagonally in the middle; the back cover has blind stamped florets in the spaces created among the crossing double lines. The flap also has blind stamped florets inside the double line frame. Covers are pulling away from the book at the hinges.
Headers and guidewords are written larger, in a script similar to thuluth. Some chapter headings enclosed in decorative rectangles (p. , 329, for example). Other decorative florets appear around poetry and near chapter divisions. Between pages 208 and 215, there are rubrications in red.
- Formerly owned by Rev. Henry Easson (note in pencil inside front cover and letter that was laid in).
- Sold by Mrs. M.J. Easson through Dr. S.A. Sterrett Metheny to Dr. Morris Jastrow, Jr. (note in pencil inside front cover and letter that was laid in).
- Gift of Joseph G. Rosengarten, 1907 (note in pencil on Flyleaf 2r, front of book).
- Stamps (Provenance)
- Manuscripts, Arabic--19th century
- These images and the content of Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 43: Manhaj al-ʻilm wa-al-bayān wa-nuzhat al-samʻ wa-al-aʻyān. are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
- To the extent possible under law, University of Pennsylvania Libraries has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this metadata about Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts Oversize Ms. Codex 43: Manhaj al-ʻilm wa-al-bayān wa-nuzhat al-samʻ wa-al-aʻyān.. This work is published from: United States. For a summary of CC0, see https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/. Legal code: https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/legalcode.
Table of contents
Front cover [flap open to show design
7103_0001.tif (196.3 MB)
7103_0001_thumb.jpg (6.4 KB)
7103_0001_web.jpg (547.8 KB)
Inside front cover [flap opened
7103_0002.tif (192.1 MB)
7103_0002_thumb.jpg (6.9 KB)
7103_0002_web.jpg (515.0 KB)
7103_0007.tif (144.8 MB)
7103_0007_thumb.jpg (2.9 KB)
7103_0007_web.jpg (164.6 KB)
Section: Manhaj al-ʻilm wa-al-bayān wa-nuzhat al-samʻ wa-al-aʻyān
7103_0428.tif (144.8 MB)
7103_0428_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
7103_0428_web.jpg (161.7 KB)
Decoration: Drawing: weapons
Inside back cover
7103_0437.tif (144.8 MB)
7103_0437_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
7103_0437_web.jpg (350.0 KB)
Decoration: Drawing: tree (upside down)
Decoration: Calligraphy (upside down)
Fore edge [flap closed, inside front cover
7103_0440.tif (42.1 MB)
7103_0440_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
7103_0440_web.jpg (92.5 KB)
Fore edge [flap open
7103_0441.tif (42.1 MB)
7103_0441_thumb.jpg (2.4 KB)
7103_0441_web.jpg (135.0 KB)
Loose leaf 1 recto
7103_0444.tif (52.0 MB)
7103_0444_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
7103_0444_web.jpg (144.5 KB)
Decoration: Vocabulary list
Loose leaf 1 verso
7103_0445.tif (52.0 MB)
7103_0445_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
7103_0445_web.jpg (118.2 KB)
Loose leaf 2 Side 1
7103_0446.tif (52.0 MB)
7103_0446_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
7103_0446_web.jpg (109.6 KB)
Loose leaf 2 Side 2
7103_0447.tif (52.0 MB)
7103_0447_thumb.jpg (2.3 KB)
7103_0447_web.jpg (115.8 KB)
Loose leaf 3 recto
7103_0448.tif (57.7 MB)
7103_0448_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
7103_0448_web.jpg (375.1 KB)
Loose leaf 3 verso
7103_0449.tif (57.7 MB)
7103_0449_thumb.jpg (7.5 KB)
7103_0449_web.jpg (386.1 KB)