Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 501 Treatises of the true salt, the philosophers secrett, and of the generall spiritt of the world
TitleTreatises of the true salt, the philosophers secrett, and of the generall spiritt of the world
- Nuisement, Clovis Hesteau, sieur de Nuisement, Clovis Hesteau, sieur de
Other related names
- Charles IV, Duke of Lorraine, 1604-1675, dedicatee
Call numberMs. Codex 501
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580933
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1650 and 1699
Translation of Traittez de l'harmonie et constitution généralle du vray sel, secret des philosophes, et de l'esprit universelle du monde from the first French edition, "Printed in Paris by Jeremias Perier & Abdias Brisard ... Anno MDCXXI." Prefaced with an address "To the most high most mightie & most vertuous Prince Monseigneour ... Duke of Lorraine," signed de Nuisement. The work is divided into three books, the first book consists of Chapters 1-9 (p. 1-28), the second book consists of Chapters 1-4 (p. 29-125), and the third book is the conclusion, (p. 126-141).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. v); English title of the 1657 and 1658 printed editions translated by Robert Turner, as described in Ferguson's Bibliotheca chemica, II, p.148, is quite different.
Extent80 leaves : 196 x 151 (182 x 130) mm. bound to 199 x 155 mm
FoliationPaper, 80 leaves; [xvi], 1-141, [142-144]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary sheepskin. Binding broken along spine, a few wormholes.
- Alchemy--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2506_0001.tif (56.3 MB)
2506_0001_thumb.jpg (3.7 KB)
2506_0001_web.jpg (288.6 KB)