Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 527 Miscellaneum pharmaceuticum
Other related names
- Arata, Mario Pedro, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 527
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486479
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageItalian, with beginning of text in Latin (f. 1r-2r)
- circa 1700
Manual for the examination to become an apothecary, to be administered by a physician. Text begins in Latin, continues as a translation into Italian on f. 2r. Some of the manual is in question-and-answer form, the rest in lists or short summaries. Topics covered include professional ethics and conduct ("an apothecary should have a wife, to rein in his youth"), the identification of herbs, and techniques for their preparation and storage.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from upper cover.
Extent30 leaves : 212 x 154 (180 x 126) mm. bound to 224 x 165 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 30 + i (contemporary paper); [1-30]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary parchment, with title and number 1556 on spine.
- Former owners include: Mario Pedro Arata (signature and stamp, inside upper cover) and Libraria Loescher & Co., Roma (bookseller's label, inside upper cover).
- Purchased, 1974.
- Pharmacy--Handbooks, manuals, etc.--Early works to 1800
- Materia medica
- Medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 527: Miscellaneum pharmaceuticum are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4864_0001.tif (36.9 MB)
4864_0001_thumb.jpg (4.9 KB)
4864_0001_web.jpg (400.9 KB)