Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 592 Trattato de rimedi contro le scomuniche invalide e proibizione de libri che si decratono in Roma
TitleTrattato de rimedi contro le scomuniche invalide e proibizione de libri che si decratono in Roma
- Giannone, Pietro, 1676-1748
Other related names
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 592
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2486550
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- circa 1750
A defense of Pietro Giannone's Dell'istoria civile del regno di Napoli, published in 1723, which had been proscribed by the Holy Office, apparently in large measure for its treatment of popular devotions as "superstitions." The author seems to have presented himself unsolicited before the Inquisition with this apology for the work. The end of the book contains other documents of his defense, including his abjuration Caetes 1734-1738.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (p. i).
- Notes in pencil on front endleaf are in the hand of Henry Charles Lea.
Extent229 leaves : 295 x 225 (198 x 175) mm. bound to 303 x 240 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 229 + i (contemporary paper); [ii], 1-223, 225-411, 411-451, [ii]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corner.
- Formerly owned by Henry C. Lea, 1871 (bookplate, inside upper cover; signature, flyleaf i recto).
- Bequest of Henry C. Lea, 1909.
- Inquisition--Italy--Naples (Kingdom)
- Manuscripts, Italian--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 592: Trattato de rimedi contro le scomuniche invalide e proibizione de libri che si decratono in Roma are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
Inside front cover
4283_0001.tif (60.6 MB)
4283_0001_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
4283_0001_web.jpg (321.5 KB)