Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 6 Persii opera
- Persius Persius
- Ovid, 43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D Ovid, 43 B.C.-17 or 18 A.D
Other related names
- Bergin, Thomas Goddard, 1904-1987, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 6
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1469169
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
- between 1450 and 1499?
Collection of the Satires of Persius (A. Persius Flaccus), together with an unidentified commentary written in the margins around the text as well as interlinear glosses (f. 1r-14v). Also includes the Ibis of Ovid (P. Ovidius Naso), with several interlinear and marginal glosses (f. 15r-27r). Folio 32v and the inside lower cover have a number of Latin aphorisms written in a second, slightly later hand. Folios 27v-32r are blank.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title in a later hand (f. 1r).
- Title of 2nd work given in colophon (f. 27r).
- Incipit: (commentary, f. 1r) Labra non solum hominum sed animalium sunt...; (text, f. 1r) Nec fonte labra prolui caballino...
- Explicit of first work: (text, f. 14v) inventus Chrysippe tui finitor acervi; (commentary, f. 14v) ... et hoc vult Persius dicere quod sicut ipse Chrysippus finivit illud opus adeo grande. sic doceat eum ponere finem et modum avaritie hominum. Acervi tuorum tumulorum argumentorum.
- The note to Satire 4 (f. 7v) refers to Laurentius Valla's translation of Thucydides into Latin, which he completed in 1452; therefore the commentary must have been written after that date.
- The front flyleaf and the first two quires are parchment (f. 1-14); the last two quires are paper (f. 15-32).
- There may be a quire missing before f.1, which might possibly have contained prolegomena to the Persius text and commentary.
- The parchment leaves are wearing slightly and splitting at the edges. Some of the writing, especially on the Persius commentary, is fading. Some stains and smudges. Cover is worn and scraped, and is splitting at the spine. Some wormholes in the cover and in the paper folios.
- This manuscript was examined in December 1990 by Professor Georg N. Knauer of the University of Pennsylvania, who prepared a three-page typewritten description of it. This is on file in the Library, together with a photocopy of a five-page article (by Rosario Pintaudi and Mario Tesi) discussing Laurentius Valla's translation of Thucydides.
Extent33 leaves : 225 x 132 mm. bound to 232 x 135 mm
CollationParchment and paper, 33; 1¹⁰, 2⁴, 3¹⁰, 4¹⁰( -1); [i], [1-32]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. The back pastedown leaf appears to be part of the fourth quire, which also appears to be missing a leaf.
SupportParchment and paper
BindingLate 15th-century Italian stamped leather with remains of two metal clasps. Some writing in ink on front cover, very difficult to read; upside down, towards the bottom of the front cover, is the word "Persius."
Space has been left at the beginning of each Persius satire and at the beginning of the Ibis for large initials. Only at the beginning of the Prologue to Persius (f. 1r) has the first initial been filled in, in what appears to be the same hand as the text. Several manicules drawn in the margins (for example, f. 6v, 10r).
- Signature: Antonio (inside upper cover).
- Formerly owned by Thomas G. Bergin (Yale University); probably bought in Italy (Naples?) in the 1920s (Knauer).
- Sold by George Allen (Philadelphia, Pa.), 1991.
- Satires (document genre)
- Manuscripts, Latin--15th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
0544_0001.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0001_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
0544_0001_web.jpg (314.2 KB)
0544_0004.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0004_thumb.jpg (5.4 KB)
0544_0004_web.jpg (365.3 KB)
Section: Satires of Persius, f. 1r
0544_0015.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0015_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0544_0015_web.jpg (354.9 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 6v
0544_0022.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0022_thumb.jpg (5.2 KB)
0544_0022_web.jpg (403.9 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 10r
0544_0026.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0026_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
0544_0026_web.jpg (383.8 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 12r
0544_0032.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0032_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
0544_0032_web.jpg (268.8 KB)
Section: Ibis of Ovid, f. 15r
0544_0067.tif (66.5 MB)
0544_0067_thumb.jpg (5.0 KB)
0544_0067_web.jpg (278.4 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 32v