Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 624 Recipe book
- Petre, D Petre, D
Call numberMs. Codex 624
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2363299
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Recipe book containing medical and cooking recipes. Recipes for cooking are written from front to back; medical recipes comprise the larger section and are written from back to front with book reversed. Contains a table of contents for each section. A number of recipes are attributed to named individuals. One leaf with recipe for "Artificial Asses Milk" is laid in after the cookery section
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
- Attribution from f. 1v, D Petre Her Book. A different hand has added "oro:" behind the "D" (perhaps Dorothy or Dorothea) and added the date, 1705. Attribution is difficult to decipher; in her catalog Janet Theophano has used the attribution Doro Petrie.
Extent106 leaves : 178 x 147 mm. bound to 180 x 150 mm
FoliationPaper, 107; [1-107]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto. Contemporary pagination from front: [iv], 1-53. Contemporary pagination from reverse: [iv], 1-75. 34 blank leaves in between. There are a number of stubs for pages in the middle that appear to have been cut or torn out.
- Gift of Esther Bradford Aresty, 1994.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Traditional medicine--Formulae, receipts, prescriptions--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2552_0001.tif (59.1 MB)
2552_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
2552_0001_web.jpg (220.4 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 1
2552_0067.tif (36.4 MB)
2552_0067_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
2552_0067_web.jpg (191.2 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
2552_0068.tif (36.4 MB)
2552_0068_thumb.jpg (2.8 KB)
2552_0068_web.jpg (150.8 KB)