Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 630 Recueil 1764-1770. Les discours, Tom. II
TitleRecueil 1764-1770. Les discours, Tom. II
- Marthe-Simplicité, Sœur
Call numberMs. Codex 630
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2362902
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Spiritual journal with entries dated from 12 January 1764 to 7 November 1770; entries made at irregular intervals, occasionally daily, but more often with a week or several weeks intervening between entries. Dated entries describe events or letters received within a religious community of women, possibly Carmelite (f. 11v). Each entry concludes with a prayer or series of prayers or meditations. Describes and sometimes quotes letters received from Sr. Benjamin, who is suffering from serious illness. Illnesses of community members, including tuberculosis and intestinal illnesses, are described in some entries, along with descriptions of medical and herbal remedies.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. 2r), written in a different hand from the text.
Extent204 leaves : 191 x 135 (160 x 110) mm. bound to 191 x 145 mm
FoliationPaper, ii (contemporary paper) + 204 + i (contemporary paper); [1-204]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingContemporary calf, rebacked.
- Former owners include: Jean Mari Pireri, Mari Mazenod (signature, front flyleaf i recto); James E. Cooke, Jersey City, N.J. (stamp, inside upper cover and inside lower cover).
- Gift of Andrew Marcus, 1997.
- Prayer--Early works to 1800
- Spiritual journals--France
- Monastic and religious life of women--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2554_0001.tif (54.1 MB)
2554_0001_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
2554_0001_web.jpg (415.4 KB)
Decoration: Owner stamp, Inside front cover
Inside back cover
2554_0416.tif (54.1 MB)
2554_0416_thumb.jpg (6.5 KB)
2554_0416_web.jpg (416.7 KB)
Decoration: Owner stamp, Inside back cover