Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 640 Abregé chronologique de l'histoire universelle. :
TitleAbregé chronologique de l'histoire universelle. :
- Roux, Samuel Roux, Samuel
Other related names
- Sharpe, Mary, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 640
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2374092
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
An abridged history of the world to 1714, probably copied by a schoolgirl, Marie or Mary Sharpe, under the instruction of a French Protestant émigré, Samuel Roux, whose preface, with instructions to the young girls in his class, begins the volume.
- Ms. codex.
- Title and date from title page (p. vii). The name Mary Sharpe is written (p. i).
- Same text as that of Ms. Codex 756, however, the prefaces are different.
Extent56 leaves : 240 x 185 (190 x 135) mm. bound to 245 x 191 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 56 + i (contemporary paper); [i-xiv], 1-94, [95-98]; contemporary pagination in ink, modern pagination in pencil, upper outer corners.
BindingBlue gilt morocco.
Illustrated frontispiece in black and white watercolor or ink depicts a student seated at a desk watching a winged figure (Time), seated on a globe, pulling aside a curtain to reveal pictures of Biblical events in the history of the world, including Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden, the great Flood, and the Crucifixion.
- Formerly owned by Mary Sharpe (signature, p. i).
- Sold by Amanda Hall Rare Books (London), 1997.
- History--Study and teaching--England--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, French--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
2557_0001.tif (87.9 MB)
2557_0001_thumb.jpg (8.6 KB)
2557_0001_web.jpg (535.3 KB)