Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 646 Theologia rationalis
- Sydenham, Thomas, 1624-1689
Call numberMs. Codex 646
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2487338
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with a few lines of Latin
- ca. 1700
Treatise on the rational faculties vs. the brutal faculties in mankind, with references to Tully, "whose profundity of wisdome I cannot however but almost adore" (p. 21). Attributed to Thomas Sydenham, it was printed as an appendix to R.G. Latham's translation of Sydenham's Works in 1850.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page and caption title (p. 1). SYDINHA THEOLO is printed on spine.
- Incipit: The Question is, how far the Light of Nature, if closely adverted to, may be extended towards the making us good men (p. 1).
Extent24 leaves : 198 x 157 (134 x 92) mm. bound to 206 x 161 mm
FoliationPaper, iv + 18 + iv leaves; [vi], 1-24, [vi]; contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary gilt calf, spine cracked along upper cover.
- Sold by Christopher Edwards, 1998.
- Ethics--Early works to 1800
- Theology--Early works to 1800
- Manuscripts, English--17th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
3357_0001.tif (70.5 MB)
3357_0001_thumb.jpg (8.2 KB)
3357_0001_web.jpg (615.0 KB)