Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 694 Doctrinale
- Alexander, de Villa Dei Alexander, de Villa Dei
Other related names
- Phillipps, Thomas, Sir, 1792-1872, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 694
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2487484
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in France, late 13th century (Zacour-Hirsch).
- between 1275 and 1299
Fragment of the Doctrinale (incomplete at the beginning), with extensive marginal commentary and annotations.
- Ms. codex.
- Title and attribution from explicit (f. 27r): Explicit Doctrinale magistri Alexandri de Villa Dei...
- Some folios are stained from previous mold damage; much of the commentary has faded or is worn off, however the primary text is legible throughout.
Extent27 leaves : 234 x 166 (180 x 63) mm. bound to 240 x 170 mm
FoliationParchment, ii (18th-century paper) + 27 + ii (18th-century paper); [1-27]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto.
Decorated initials in red and green on most folios, some of the decoration has faded.
- Formerly owned by Sir Thomas Phillipps, ms. 190 (f. 1r).
- Sold by J. Rosenthal, 1952.
- Latin language--Grammar--Early works to 1500
- Manuscripts, Latin--13th century
- Manuscripts, Medieval
- fol. 1r — Owner note, f. 1r
Inside front cover
0446_0001.tif (79.3 MB)
0446_0001_thumb.jpg (9.5 KB)
0446_0001_web.jpg (540.7 KB)
0446_0006.tif (79.3 MB)
0446_0006_thumb.jpg (4.7 KB)
0446_0006_web.jpg (350.3 KB)
Decoration: Owner note, f. 1r