Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 71 Iuramentum capitulare, advocatorum per offitia rivoalti
TitleIuramentum capitulare, advocatorum per offitia rivoalti
- Venice (Italy)
- Contarini, Francesco, -1558
- Zeni, Marco
Call numberMs. Codex 71
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 1580619
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageSome items in Latin, some in Italian
- after 1526
Collection of oaths, duties, obligations, details of fees, periods of service, etc., of the four Advocati Rivoalti. The regulations are arranged chronologically, so as to give a historical picture of the development of the office.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from upper cover and caption title (f. 1r).
- Incipit and explicit: (f. 1r) Iuro Ego Advocator offitiorum rivoalti, ad sancti dei ... (f. 15r) de ovibus supra et in expensis: [followed by colophon].
- Colophon (f. 15r): Marco Zeni provedador de [comuni?] [suprascripsi?]. Francesco Contarini provedador de [comuni?] [suprascripsi?].
Extent15 leaves : 205 x 142 (142 x 92) mm. bound to 212 x 153 mm
CollationParchment, ii (contemporary paper) + 15 + ii (contemporary paper); [i]¹, 1-3², 4²(-1), [i]¹; [1-15]; modern foliation in pencil, upper right recto.
BindingLimp vellum, with title in red on front. Medallion on front cover decorated with lion of St. Mark, in blue and red. The cover also contains a small leaf design in green and gold, and an inscription in red giving the title. Venice, ca. 1526 or later; inscription on cover written in same hand as the text.
Illuminated inital "I" on blue background with white highlights (f. 1r); illuminated border with green vines gold leaves, with four coats of arms in lower margin (f. 1r); these might be the coats of arms of the four holders of the office at the date of the writing of the manuscript, though none appears to be the coat of arms of the Zeni or Contarini families. Red is used throughout the text for section headings and initials; blue is used throughout for initials. There are several small colored flourishes and leaf designs in the margins throughout.
ColophonColophon (f. 15r): Marco Zeni provedador de [comuni?] [suprascripsi?]. Francesco Contarini provedador de [comuni?] [suprascripsi?].
- Sold by Davis and Orioli (Cat. 159, no. 94), 1958.
- Venice (Italy).--Advocati rivoalti--Obligations (Law)
- Venice (Italy)--Oaths
- Venice (Italy)--Law and legislation
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Italian--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Front cover — Illustration, Lion of St. Mark, Front cover
- Front cover — Illuminated illustration, Foliate design, Front cover
- fol. 1r — Illuminated border, Coats of arms, f. 1r
- fol. 1r — Illuminated initial, Initial I, f. 1r
- fol. 6r — Manicule, f. 6r
- fol. 7r — Decorated descender, f. 7r
- fol. 12v — Decorated descender, f. 12v
- fol. 13v — Decorated descender, f. 13v
1538_0000.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0000_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1538_0000_web.jpg (237.4 KB)
Decoration: Illustration, Lion of St. Mark, Front cover
Decoration: Illuminated illustration, Foliate design, Front cover
Inside front cover
1538_0001.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0001_thumb.jpg (3.6 KB)
1538_0001_web.jpg (207.5 KB)
1538_0006.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0006_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
1538_0006_web.jpg (302.9 KB)
Decoration: Illuminated border, Coats of arms, f. 1r
Decoration: Illuminated initial, Initial I, f. 1r
1538_0016.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0016_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1538_0016_web.jpg (371.8 KB)
Decoration: Manicule, f. 6r
1538_0018.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0018_thumb.jpg (4.6 KB)
1538_0018_web.jpg (274.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated descender, f. 7r
1538_0029.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0029_thumb.jpg (4.8 KB)
1538_0029_web.jpg (253.6 KB)
Decoration: Decorated descender, f. 12v
1538_0031.tif (71.5 MB)
1538_0031_thumb.jpg (4.5 KB)
1538_0031_web.jpg (330.4 KB)
Decoration: Decorated descender, f. 13v