Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 713 Collection of hymns and antiphons
TitleCollection of hymns and antiphons
- Catholic Church
Other related names
- Mol, Robert de, 16th cent, former owner
- Baugh, Albert C. 1891-1981, former owner
Call numberMs. Codex 713
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2487521
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageLatin, with a few headings in French
- ca. 1500-1699
Hymns, antiphons, a litany, etc. beginning with Audi Domine; including Hodie beata virgo Maria; Ave virgo stella maris; Magnificat; Adoramus te Christe; Homo quidam fecit; Exsurge domine; Parce ce domine, parce ce populo tuo; Lux perpetua; Pueri Hebreorum and others; the earliest part of the manuscript ending with Inundaverunt; all with plain chant notation. Additions in later hands (f. 136r-161r), include the Pange lingua; Anthiene de St. Roch [sic] (with music, incipit: Ave Roche); a prayer, Ora pro nobis beata pater Roche; Veni creator spiritus (without music); and an index to 88 hymns and antiphons in a 17th-century hand (f. 166-167). Also includes: Repond que l'on chante à la reception d'une nouvelle doÿenne, with plain chant notation in a 17th-century hand (f. i recto). The chants are from a chapter of secular canonesses in Andenne (chapitre noble des chanoinesses d'Andenne), but not copied in liturgical order.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger (Zacour-Hirsch).
Extent178 leaves : 149 x 91 mm. bound to 158 x 96 mm
FoliationParchment and paper, i (paper endleaf) + 5 (paper) + 163 (parchment) + 10 (paper) + i (paper endleaf); [vii], 1-161, [162-171]; 17th-century foliation in ink, upper right recto; some foliation lost due to trimmed edges. There may be folios or quires missing between f. 48-49 and 138-139.
SupportParchment and paper
Binding17th- or 18th-century calf, split along spine.
Rubricated headings, initials, and capitals; 3 coats of arms painted in color; 2 in watercolor on paper (f. ii recto, f. iii recto), and an earlier coat of arms on parchment, (f. vii recto) dated 1566.
- Possibly originally owned by the Chapitre noble des chanoinesses d'Andenne, a community of secular, noble-born canonesses in Andenne (Anne-Emmanuelle Ceulemans).
- Formerly owned by Robert de Mol (coat of arms dated 1566, f. vii recto) and the De Noot family (f. iii recto), both connected with Andenne (Anne-Emmanuelle Ceulemans).
- Formerly held in the Bibliotheca Elseghemensis (late 19th- or early 20th-century bookplate, with attribution Lith. N. Heins. Gand, inside upper cover), in Elseghem or Elsegem in East Flanders, Belgium, near Ghent.
- Gift of Albert C. Baugh, 1965.
- Catholic Church--Liturgy--Texts
- Gregorian chants--Manuscripts
- Hymns, Latin--Early works to 1800
- Antiphons (Music)--Early works to 1800
- Magnificat (Music)--Early works to 1800
- Monastic and religious life of women--Early works to 1800
- Coats of arms
- Gregorian chant
- Manuscripts, Latin--16th century
- Manuscripts, Latin--17th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
- Manuscripts, European
Table of contents
- fol. 166r — Index to 88 hymns and antiphons, f. 166r
Inside front cover
0582_0001.tif (35.2 MB)
0582_0001_thumb.jpg (6.0 KB)
0582_0001_web.jpg (436.1 KB)
Decoration: Bookplate, Inside front cover
0582_0272.tif (35.2 MB)
0582_0272_thumb.jpg (6.8 KB)
0582_0272_web.jpg (294.3 KB)
Decoration: Marginal note, f. 128r
0582_0348.tif (35.2 MB)
0582_0348_thumb.jpg (3.1 KB)
0582_0348_web.jpg (231.3 KB)
Section: Index to 88 hymns and antiphons, f. 166r
Loose note 1, Side 1
0582_0363.tif (35.2 MB)
0582_0363_thumb.jpg (2.3 KB)
0582_0363_web.jpg (176.7 KB)
Loose note 1, Side 2
0582_0364.tif (35.2 MB)
0582_0364_thumb.jpg (1.9 KB)
0582_0364_web.jpg (167.2 KB)