Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 757 Julia, or The revengeful lover. A tragedy
TitleJulia, or The revengeful lover. A tragedy
- Jephson, Robert, 1736-1803 Jephson, Robert, 1736-1803
Call numberMs. Codex 757
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2707273
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in England, circa 1787.
- ca. 1787
Incomplete manuscript version of Jephson's Julia, or the Italian lover, not identical to the text printed in London in 1787; this manuscript ends in the middle of Act IV, scene V.
- Ms. codex.
- Title from title page (f. ii recto); subtitle "The revengeful lover" is written over an earlier subtitle, partially erased, in the same hand as the title and text.
- Title on box is Loyal Lovers.
- Note on the provenance, in pencil: "Formerly in the possession of Edmond Malone -- bought from A.R. Smith along with Malone's ms notes." [Malone is the author of the prologue to the printed play, not included in this manuscript.].
- Forms part of H.H. Furness Memorial Library.
Extent66 leaves : 200 x 158 (181 x 147) mm. bound to 205 x 165 mm
FoliationPaper, i (contemporary paper) + 64 + i (contemporary paper); [ii], 1-45, 44-56, [57-60]; contemporary foliation in ink, modern foliation in pencil, upper center recto.
BindingContemporary half calf, marbled boards.
- Formerly owners include: Edmond Malone (note, f. i recto), H.H. Furness, Jr. (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- English drama--18th century
- English literature--18th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1511_0001.tif (70.1 MB)
1511_0001_thumb.jpg (4.0 KB)
1511_0001_web.jpg (255.5 KB)