Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 797 Recipe book :
TitleRecipe book :
- Mason, Mary B
Call numberMs. Codex 797
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 9927063723503681
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Comprised chiefly of culinary recipes from the middle Atlantic region of the United States with recipes for rock fish, shad, sturgeon, crabs, and oysters, as well as recipes for preparing wild ducks, meats, pickles, preserves, cakes and biscuits, keeklings, puddings, floating island, small beer, and cider wine. Of particular interest is a detailed recipe for making portable soup and "Philadelphia receipt for cream cheese." Section near the end has recipes for dyes and dyeing using natural materials. Recipes are attributed to Mrs. Armistead, Mrs. Heath, Mrs. Pollard, Mrs. Turberville, Mrs. Taliaferro, Mrs. Grimwell, Cousin Nelly Alexander and others.
- Dates 1838 and 1843 on last 3 leaves of volume, most recipes are probably earlier in date.
- Place name Mount Airy occurs in several recipes.
- Written in several hands in ink.
- First leaf detached, edges brittle.
- Pages 155-210 are detached and were added and sewn into the binding, a similar section may be missing at the front.
- Burn mark on lower outside edge affects the text in only a few places.
- Note laid in volume: "If you dont hear from me, return this book to my sister in law Miss Mary C. Mason, 2212 N. Calvert St. Baltimore, Md. Mrs. Mary B. Mason."
Extent1 volume (102 leaves) : 20 cm
Foliationii ff. [index], pp. 19-210, iv ff. [index and a few recipes], in ink in contemporary hand.
BindingContemporary half leather with boards, missing front cover.
- Provenance: Mary B. Mason.
- Sold by Cornucopia (Brattleboro, Vt.), 1999.
- Cookery, American
- Dyes and dyeing
- Wine and wine making
- Manuscripts, American--19th century
- Manuscripts, Digital
- These images and the content of Rare Book & Manuscript Library, Ms. Codex 797: Recipe book : are free of known copyright restrictions and in the public domain. See the Creative Commons Public Domain Mark page for usage details, http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/.
fol. Loose note 1r
6785_0205.tif (10.7 MB)
6785_0205_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB)
6785_0205_web.jpg (391.8 KB)
fol. Loose note 1v
6785_0206.tif (10.7 MB)
6785_0206_thumb.jpg (3.2 KB)
6785_0206_web.jpg (305.9 KB)