Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 804 Processo contra Ysabel Rodriguez, natural dela Salceda en Portugal, muger de Manuel Diaz, mercader de Mexico ... etc.
TitleProcesso contra Ysabel Rodriguez, natural dela Salceda en Portugal, muger de Manuel Diaz, mercader de Mexico ... etc.
Other related names
- Lea, Henry Charles, 1825-1909, former owner
- Riva Palacio, Vicente, 1832-1896, former owner
- Manozca, Pedro de, scribe
Call numberMs. Codex 804
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2706830
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Written in Mexico (Zacour-Hirsch) in 1595 (f. 1r, 116r, 276r).
Comprises notarized contemporary transcripts of three trials of Portuguese Jews held by the Inquisition in Mexico in 1595.
- Ms. codex.
- Title for manuscript from title of first work; date from title pages (f. 1r, 116r, 276r).
- Letter from General Riva Palacio to Henry Charles Lea dated 21 February 1872 bound inside upper cover.
Extent464 leaves : 318 x 218 (258 x 160) mm. bound to 330 x 225 mm
FoliationPaper, vii (19th-century notes) + iii (19th-century paper) + 465 + iii (19th-century paper); [i], 1-31, [i], 32-114, 1-33, [i], 34-41, [iv], 42-69, [i], 70-127, 127, 129-145, 145, 147-154; [ii], 1-5, [i], 6-56, [i], 57-60, [i], 61-79, [v], 80-178, [i]; contemporary or near-contemporary foliation in ink, upper right recto; [1-465]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Folio references in this record follow modern foliation.
Binding19th-century quarter leather. Both boards detached and spine leather completely lacking. Moderate oxidation of ink. 19th-century leaves bound into the front are brittle and crumbling at the edges.
- Former owners include: Vicente Riva Palacio (note bound into the manuscript) and Henry Charles Lea (bookplate, inside upper cover).
- Bequest from Henry Charles Lea, 1909.
- Inquisition--Mexico--Early works to 1800
- Jews--Mexico--Early works to 1800
- Legal documents
- Notarial documents
- Manuscripts, Spanish--16th century
- Manuscripts, Renaissance
Inside front cover
2745_0001.tif (74.0 MB)
2745_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
2745_0001_web.jpg (229.2 KB)