Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 89 The young country clerk's collection of the best presidents of bills, bonds, conditions, aquittances, releases, indentures, deeds of sale, letters of attorney, last wills and testaments, etc. :
TitleThe young country clerk's collection of the best presidents of bills, bonds, conditions, aquittances, releases, indentures, deeds of sale, letters of attorney, last wills and testaments, etc. :
- Pastorius, Francis Daniel, 1651-1719
- Watson, John F. 1779-1860
Call numberMs. Codex 89
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 2706995
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
LanguageEnglish, with some sections in Dutch and German, and a few verses and quotations in Latin
Examples of legal agreements and forms, including marriage certificates for Friends (Quakers); license to keep an ale house; agreements regarding land, leases and mortgages; warrants; wills; agreements for indentured servants, etc., some from actual documents in use at the time; with a section on letter writing titled epistolography and epistolographia. Pastorius used the Young Clerk's Guide by Sir Richard Hutton (1649); the Young Clerk's Tutor Enlarged by Edward Cocker (10th ed., 1682); and The Young Secretary's Guide by John Hill (1687) as models and references in this work, but also based it upon "authentical manuscripts" (f. 2r).
- Ms. codex.
- Title from caption title (f. 2r). A later title appears in the hand of John F. Watson, dated 1860: "Forms & precedents of conveyancing & magistracy, and of letters on business & courtesy; as used by Francis D. Pastorius, the founder of Germantown ... Seen and examined by John F. Watson year 1860" (f. 1r). Some of the later additions to the manuscript may be Watson's.
- Title for the section on letter writing (f. 79r): Epistolographia, or, an easy method for writing letters upon any subject.
- Many of the forms copied include dates, but this manuscript is undated, written after the birth of Pastorius' son in 1692 (f. 2r) and probably over a period of time after 1700.
Extent115 leaves :
FoliationPaper, 115; [1-115]; modern foliation in pencil, lower right recto. Irregular contemporary pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment. Manuscript is fragile, paper breaking at the edges of leaves, some leaves breaking due to severe oxidation of ink.
- Former owners include: Charles M. Pastorius, January 1, 1812 (f. 47v); Thomas Scattergood (f. 66v); Ann Maria Matiby (f. 1v).
- Gift of Washington Pastorius, 1949.
- Legal documents--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia--Early works to 1800
- Legal instruments--Pennsylvania--Philadelphia--Early works to 1800
- Letter writing
- Manuscripts, American--17th century
- Manuscripts, American--18th century
Table of contents
Inside front cover
1567_0001.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0001_thumb.jpg (3.9 KB)
1567_0001_web.jpg (259.4 KB)
1567_0003.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0003_thumb.jpg (4.3 KB)
1567_0003_web.jpg (271.9 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 1v
1567_0004.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0004_thumb.jpg (7.1 KB)
1567_0004_web.jpg (421.9 KB)
Section: The young country clerk?s collection, f. 2r
1567_0095.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0095_thumb.jpg (5.3 KB)
1567_0095_web.jpg (326.0 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 47v
1567_0133.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0133_thumb.jpg (5.7 KB)
1567_0133_web.jpg (352.2 KB)
Decoration: Owner signature, f. 66v
1567_0158.tif (62.8 MB)
1567_0158_thumb.jpg (6.1 KB)
1567_0158_web.jpg (367.4 KB)
Section: Epistolography, f. 79r