Collection ID: 0002 | Metadata type: TEI
Ms. Codex 895 Recipe book
- Plowden, Ann M
Call numberMs. Codex 895
(Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Rare Book & Manuscript Library)
- bibid: 3430904
PublisherThe University of Pennsylvania Libraries
Culinary recipes for preserving meats, fish, and fruits; for fowl, hare, venison, mutton, beef, pork, shrimp, lobster, salmon; for pancakes, cakes, puddings, creams, and jellies; rice dishes, curries, curry powders, Jamaica pepperpot soup, Irish stew, and salads; for coffee, yeast, leavening, and French bread; for fruit wines, mead, beer, and sherry, including spruce beer and balm wine. A few recipes are attributed to Soyer and Batchellor, most are undated and without attribution. Two of the items laid in are from Uckfield, Sussex and Lewes, East Sussex.
- Ms. codex.
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Extent83 leaves : 200 x 160 mm. bound to 209 x 166 mm. +
FoliationPaper, 83; 1-160, [161-166]; 19th-century pagination in ink, upper outer corners.
BindingContemporary parchment, rebacked.
- Sold by John Price Antiquarian Books (London), 2002.
- Cooking, English--Early works to 1800
- Wine and wine making--Early works to 1800
- Cooking--England--Sussex--18th century
- Cooking--England--Sussex--19th century
- Manuscripts, English--18th century
- Manuscripts, English--19th century
- Manuscripts, European
Inside front cover
1569_0001.tif (69.4 MB)
1569_0001_thumb.jpg (4.1 KB)
1569_0001_web.jpg (235.7 KB)